Best Book or Pictured Index

Rfields987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! What’s the best reference book and/or site for coral recognition? Like to find something up to date if possible.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a reference on corals
This is THE data base on corals.
But if you are wanting a book on corals like bubble gum explosions type name corals. That people sell there is nothing. As the names are totally made up by the sellers. The name means nothing and will change depending on what is a hot name this year.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if you are wanting a book on corals like bubble gum explosions type name corals. That people sell there is nothing. As the names are totally made up by the sellers. The name means nothing and will change depending on what is a hot name this year.
I’ve got a set of ****** corals a nice peach n pink color combination

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This ^^^^

Thats my big gripe about comic book names, usually there are 5 different names for the same coral, its frustrating to say the least.

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ^^^^

Thats my big gripe about comic book names, usually there are 5 different names for the same coral, its frustrating to say the least.
Hi all! What’s the best reference book and/or site for coral recognition? Like to find something up to date if possible.

This is the Aquarium BIBLE
Get it read it learn it. Won’t be sorry

image.jpg

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the Aquarium BIBLE
Get it read it learn it. Won’t be sorry

image.jpg

While I do have a lot of respect for PaulB, I dont agree with some of his methodologies, like not QT'ing. He does have a lot of valuable experience and advice to offer.

I guess what the "bible of reefkeeping" means is different for everyone, to many old schoolers- Martin Moe's classic is held highly as the bible for some
Screenshot_20200422-064626_Google.jpg

For myself, I consider Alf Jacob Nilsen and Svein A fossa's series to be my personal "bible of reefkeeping" started sneaking these into classes I found boring in highschool back in the early 2000s.
Screenshot_20200422-065652_Chrome.jpg

I think OP meant mostly a catalog of coral, not reefkeeping methodology.

Eric Bornemans book on corals is great for most hobbists, and if they are wanting something more detailed and in depth, JEN Veron's Corals of the World really cant be beat

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I need to pick up some of these books to read again, it’s been a while. But honestly I think it’s time someone wrote a new book! I agree that paul has some cool experience but I don’t see a need in reading his book anytime soon. If I was a fish lover first and random coral keeper second I would get it. But he doesn’t have much experience in keeping acropora specifically, and when I did see some in his pictures it disintegrated float my boat.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I need to pick up some of these books to read again, it’s been a while. But honestly I think it’s time someone wrote a new book! I agree that paul has some cool experience but I don’t see a need in reading his book anytime soon. If I was a fish lover first and random coral keeper second I would get it. But he doesn’t have much experience in keeping acropora specifically, and when I did see some in his pictures it disintegrated float my boat.

When I see his pictures of his tank it doesn’t float my boat, darn auto correct.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Veron's three volume Corals of the World is the best for coral recognition, but it is out of print and very expensive. If you ever find a copy, then it is like gold. It is so much easier to flip through the pages of a book than use the online version, but the online version is better than nothing.

FYI - this collection has true-coral in it only, not colonial 'nems or other softies... only true coral leave behind a skeleton.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one 3 volume set on eBay currently for $450. Cmon early homwrecker buyers, chump change! Except this won’t die and will retain its resale value! -also not a bad price, I think this originally cost me 2 or 3 hundred back in 2004-5ish.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I want to get the paper version. The online version is great but really frustrating to actually research with. Isn’t the online version updated from the book or are they the exact same?

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea I want to get the paper version. The online version is great but really frustrating to actually research with. Isn’t the online version updated from the book or are they the exact same?

I sold my books when they had the online version setup. The coral ID sections are exactly the same, down to the same pictures.

A few years ago they fixed the online version to be more user friendly.
Once you get used to navigating the online version it's fine.

If you insist on buying the books keep an eye out on selling forums. They usually will go for about $250-300.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 134 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back