Best budget light for fluval evo?

jkkgron2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I’ve had my 13.5g evo set up for a month or two, and the light just broke. I currently have some nice Macro algae, a blushing star coral, and a cup coral that I don’t want to kill, and since I know I’ll be getting more corals later, I need some decent lighting. I don’t want to get another fluval evo light, especially if it dies on me again when I have more coral and/or macro algae. I’m looking for a light that’s under $70, it needs to be able to grow coral, and I would prefer it to be programmable, but I doubt it’s going to be programmable because of the price limit. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience in this area, unfortunately. I just a did little googling and found a couple of options I'm sure would work well enough.

This is close to the that price range. It's not programmable from what I see. You just have to put it on a timer.

This is another one I just found.

I'm just going to leave this here. This light is IMO one of the best on the market for any 4' or smaller tank. It's not a ton of money when considering how much you spend on the tank and equipment.

It all comes down to what you're trying to grow with the lights.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I’ve had my 13.5g evo set up for a month or two, and the light just broke. I currently have some nice Macro algae, a blushing star coral, and a cup coral that I don’t want to kill, and since I know I’ll be getting more corals later, I need some decent lighting. I don’t want to get another fluval evo light, especially if it dies on me again when I have more coral and/or macro algae. I’m looking for a light that’s under $70, it needs to be able to grow coral, and I would prefer it to be programmable, but I doubt it’s going to be programmable because of the price limit. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
If you're near socal you can have my stock light free.

OP
OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the Nicrew HyperReef? It’s cheap , but will it grow coral?

Edit: Also curious about the Nicrew saltwater light that’s 18-24 inches. Would that be better?

Last edited:

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take by my suggestions back, minus one. Don't waste your time with the cheap lights. I guarantee you're going to buy it, then not too long from now you're going to spend money on a better light. By the time you get a light you're happy with, you'll have spent more on cheap lights trying to "save money." Budget for a month or 2 and get the AI Prime HD. If you can find a used one, get it. I'd sell you one of mine as I don't think I need it, but I'm too in love with these lights. I have 7 AI Prime HD running on 2 tanks. I don't even have the Prime 16, but I guarantee you they'll be the next light I buy when I decide it's time to replace the ones I have.

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the Nicrew HyperReef? It’s cheap , but will it grow coral?
NiCrew HyperReef 30watt with controller grows corals just fine.
C5777D6D-E669-47EF-94A8-FC9A12C75B07.jpeg

Christiancorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in advance!
Ai prime hd

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back