Best bulb combo for a macro display tank

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to set up a 40-gallon breeder tank for macros that will act as a display refugium for a 75 gallon tank. I have a 8-bulb t5 light for this tank and am wondering what might be the best bulb combo to use. The light has three switches that operate three three and two bulbs. I want to try and target the peak photosynthesis rates but might be harder to do with t5. I was considering super flora, blue+, purple+, actinics, Fiji purple, and maybe a daylight bulb. But then I noticed a brand called wave point and they look like they have some nice options. They have some t5 bulbs that have infrared and 380 NM to 400 NM but I'm not sure how much macros would like that spectrum and sdoe anyone have any experience with that brand. The ultra grow bulb that they have looks really good. Here is a link to the bulbs with spectral analysis. http://www.wave-point.com/Lighting_folder/LampMain.html. Thanks in advance for any advice.

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just clicked on the post to see what you meant by "ball". You might edit the title or start another thread corrected to get some more people looking at it.

jack_aubry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just want macros I would aim for a whiter light closer to 6500k or at least more full spectrum. Most of the macros available are sub-tidal and grow best under a whiter light. Also 8 t5s over a 40 breeder is overkill 4 is all you would need for rapid growth.

OP
OP
J

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just clicked on the post to see what you meant by "ball". You might edit the title or start another thread corrected to get some more people looking at it.
Thanks I didn't even notice that it said ball. Does anybody know how to edit the title I can't find the option

OP
OP
J

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just want macros I would aim for a whiter light closer to 6500k or at least more full spectrum. Most of the macros available are sub-tidal and grow best under a whiter light. Also 8 t5s over a 40 breeder is overkill 4 is all you would need for rapid growth.
Thanks. I already have the 8-bulb light. If you think that is overkill maybe I'll try seagrasses as I believe they require higher light.

OP
OP
J

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
J

Jason Coy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have any experience with certain bulb choices over others with respect to growing different species of macros and or seagrasses?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link. I realize most will say 6500k full spectrum but to me that seems like a lot of wasted light. The reason why I say this is green macros for example reflect the green light found in full spectrum bulbs and because chlorophyll a and b absorb best in the blue and red spectrum.

Check out this post from Dana Riddle at the lighting forum.
Green and Red macroalgae action spectrum
The several posts before and after it may be of interest as well. In that part of the thread we were talking about rhodophyte pigments.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back