Best c02 absorbing media to use in second chamber of cal reactor

hondaguy88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to try some different media in my second chamber of my calcium reactor to degas my effluent and improve my ph. Any one have any ideas or something that has worked well for them. To accomplish this. I’ve seen some zeolite type material in a few pics of overseas reactors but can’t find much info on it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure .....

I use reborn in my main CaRx chamber and the ARM small media in my second chamber. You used the term 'degas' - it's not really that (better example would be aerating incoming raw water to prolong the life of DI resin). The purpose of the second chamber is to allow the carbonic acids to further react with a calcareous media to get the effluent pH as high as possible. Although I have not actually tested for improved performance, my logic in using the ARM small is to maximize the surface area for this reaction to occur. Observably, the reborn in the main chamber depletes much more rapidly than the ARM does in the secondary; suggests that my setting are broadly correct. Hope that helps, at least a bit.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 48 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back