Filter media first go

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m new to Media reactors. I’ve never used them on any of my other tanks. However, with my new 240 gallon tank, I’m considering installing some. The process seems simple in theory however I have two questions. For the inlet water cannot be taken from any part of the sump or is there a specific place that water needs to come from. Then with the outlet water (filtered) is there a specific place that should be returned to such as the return chamber of the sump? I’m trying to figure out how feasible installing one of these are since I am not good with plumbing.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to filter media. I’ve never used it on any of my other tanks. However, with my new 240 gallon tank, I’m considering installing some. The process seems simple in theory however I have two questions. For the inlet water cannot be taken from any part of the sump or is there a specific place that water needs to come from. Then with the outlet water (filtered) is there a specific place that should be returned to such as the return chamber of the sump? I’m trying to figure out how feasible installing one of these are since I am not good with plumbing.
Do you have filter socks? (Or a place for them?). This is where a lot of filter media can go...

But there are a lot of different types of "filter media". What exactly are you referring to? Floss? Foam? Carbon? GFO? Something else?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I misspoke I’m looking to run a media reactor. I’m thinking about a carbon scrubber, carbon and GFO.
Gotcha. It doesn't matter where the water comes from or where it flows out. Place the pump where it's most convenient and the outflow wherever you'd like.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back