Best Calcium Reactor Manufacturer

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I've been a long time Geo's Reef customer. Lately I have to say I am not a happy customer - I am not getting the support I need, reactor and manifold is not designed well (IMHO) and making too much noise and at this point Geo's Reef is not even responding to my emails.

Sob story over, time to move on. Who makes the best calcium reactors these days? I am in the market for a new one. I am looking for a reactor that works well, doesn't just circulate air non-stop, and has good support. Any suggestions of who to talk to?

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2nd on LifeReef - Jeff is a great guy and produces high quality products. Just got back into the hobby after a 10 year break and decided to not use a LifeReef skimmer - that last 3 weeks before I went back to what I know works well and comes with great customer support.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned that you’ve been a long time GEO user. What has changed in your GEO CaRx set up that has given you the bubble buildup? Did you recently add a continuous duty peristaltic pump to the equation?

Here is a good thread on RC where @slief walks someone through how to properly tune their GEO CaRx, through effluent rate and bubble count, to eliminate excess CO2 buildup.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2689996&highlight=Geo+calcium+reactor+bubbles+lid

Also, if you notice for 2019, Serdar has updated George’s original CaRx design by removing both the feed line and the effluent line from the recirculation loop by putting them both on the lid. George’s original design was meant to be run with positive pressure through a feed pump like an MJ1200. I believe Serdar’s new changes should eliminate the bubble build up issues people are having when using the pull method, introducing negative pressure to the CaRx, through a continuous duty variable speed peristaltic pump.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a bunch of different kinds. They all have their pros and cons. Right now using an old Knop, Korallin and a AquaMaxx that I won. If I had my druthers, they would all be Korallins, but so don't care enough to buy new ones.

I like the korallin with the pump on top which seems to let debris settle and not get into the pump, and also that it will drop co2 in the top and allow me to tune it better. I like the input filter on the AquaMaxx.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You mentioned that you’ve been a long time GEO user. What has changed in your GEO CaRx set up that has given you the bubble buildup? Did you recently add a continuous duty peristaltic pump to the equation?

Here is a good thread on RC where @slief walks someone through how to properly tune their GEO CaRx, through effluent rate and bubble count, to eliminate excess CO2 buildup.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2689996&highlight=Geo+calcium+reactor+bubbles+lid

Also, if you notice for 2019, Serdar has updated George’s original CaRx design by removing both the feed line and the effluent line from the recirculation loop by putting them both on the lid. George’s original design was meant to be run with positive pressure through a feed pump like an MJ1200. I believe Serdar’s new changes should eliminate the bubble build up issues people are having when using the pull method, introducing negative pressure to the CaRx, through a continuous duty variable speed peristaltic pump.

I honestly have no clue. After running for 2 years, it started pulling in air. I broke the whole reactor down, cleaned everything, all o-rings got silicone lubricant to help seal any potential air pulls, rebuilt the pump's connections with fresh teflon.

Serdar's troubleshooting steps were:
  1. Increase flow (I am already at 60ml/m, I was at 15 before it went sideways. The more flow I add, the mode bubbles I need to run through it, makes it redundant as far as fixing nose goes)
  2. Make sure you have positive pressure (I did and I do)
  3. Switch to pull from push. I don't want to do that as then there goes the positive pressure. And from here I messaged 2 more times and no response.
As for my pump, I am running Watson Marlow 520. It's a beast and highly configurable, not too many pumps can beat it. I did see the redesign, but I am not looking forward to spend another $500 at a product I am not getting support on, and my local store couldn't even get me a price as dealer registration on the website is not working. :(

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. Make sure you have positive pressure (I did and I do)
  2. Switch to pull from push. I don't want to do that as then there goes the positive pressure. And from here I messaged 2 more times and no response.

First, on the threads, use Teflon paste, not tape.

Actually, by pulling, from the reactor, you are introducing negative pressure. Pushing through the reactor gives you positive pressure. Take a look a t that RC thread that I linked to. It helps explain the balance between bubble count, regulator pressure and effluent flow to avoid excess CO2 build up. Slief is active over there and posts on here from time to time. Try shooting him a PM. He’s quite helpful.

Another method used by @mitch91175 is to introduce positive pressure in a pull situation by using a small power head on the intake (push side) of the reactor to introduce positive pressure while your Watson Marlow continues to pull on the effluent side of the reactor.

George’s original GEO CaRx design was meant to be used with positive pressure and a traditional power head type feed pump. Serdar’s redesign looks to be more applicable with more modern approaches to running a calcium reactor with a Waton Marlow, Masterflex or Kamoer peristaltic pump.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First, on the threads, use Teflon paste, not tape.

Actually, by pulling, from the reactor, you are introducing negative pressure. Pushing through the reactor gives you positive pressure. Take a look a t that RC thread that I linked to. It helps explain the balance between bubble count, regulator pressure and effluent flow to avoid excess CO2 build up. Slief is active over there and posts on here from time to time. Try shooting him a PM. He’s quite helpful.

Another method used by @mitch91175 is to introduce positive pressure in a pull situation by using a small power head on the intake (push side) of the reactor to introduce positive pressure while your Watson Marlow continues to pull on the effluent side of the reactor.

George’s original GEO CaRx design was meant to be used with positive pressure and a traditional power head type feed pump. Serdar’s redesign looks to be more applicable with more modern approaches to running a calcium reactor with a Waton Marlow, Masterflex or Kamoer peristaltic pump.

I've been through the thread many times, this is where I started years ago when I first dialed it in. You actually gave me an idea, I think it's time for DIY modification to the reactor.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been through the thread many times, this is where I started years ago when I first dialed it in. You actually gave me an idea, I think it's time for DIY modification to the reactor.

Let us know what you have in mind and how it works out.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let us know what you have in mind and how it works out.

Pretty simple actually if it works. Drill and thread a hole in the lid for return line (1/4"). Block off existing return line which is on the manifold. 3D print a pipe for the circulating flow to drop intake 1/4". Gas should build up towards the top and come out through the return without circulating through the reactor non-stop. Similar to the new design without the cost of getting the whole new system.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you guys want to see something crazy, I actually 3D printed this thing and installed it on the bottom of the reactor, to try to capture all air and keep it circulating until it's out of the reactor. It helped a bunch. Now when the reactor gets over-gased it takes the air out in 30 minutes... but it still bugs me that it's doing the noise every day or so, especially if it does it in the middle of the night and wakes me up.

upload_2019-6-25_13-9-4.png

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your reactor? If the 3D printed mod works I may have to purchase one from you for my CR612... Looking at your build thread, it looks like you have a 618 or 624...

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What size is your reactor? If the 3D printed mod works I may have to purchase one from you for my CR612... Looking at your build thread, it looks like you have a 618 or 624...

I am running 618.

DASTACO Fully automated reactor you get everything you need to just set it up nothing more to buy.

These are nice for sure but $$$$$ :)

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, just a thought as it looks like you're pretty handy. If you have a drill press, you can drill a hole in the upper part of the reactor cylinder and add a 1/2” uniseal. Then you can modify your own lid and build your own manifold to mimic Serdar’s new design. GEO’s Reef also sells replacement lids and manifolds as well.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 167 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back