Best Calcium Reactor Manufacturer

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty simple actually if it works. Drill and thread a hole in the lid for return line (1/4"). Block off existing return line which is on the manifold. 3D print a pipe for the circulating flow to drop intake 1/4". Gas should build up towards the top and come out through the return without circulating through the reactor non-stop. Similar to the new design without the cost of getting the whole new system.

I bet they’d have parts to upgrade if you ask.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a bit off topic, but if you have air in the reactor, then you have a leak that needs fixed, or you are using WAY too much co2 and it is not dissolving all the way. If you are sure that you have no leak, then we can help you tune this reactor to have no excess co2 in there.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe a bit off topic, but if you have air in the reactor, then you have a leak that needs fixed, or you are using WAY too much co2 and it is not dissolving all the way. If you are sure that you have no leak, then we can help you tune this reactor to have no excess co2 in there.

I've dialed in multiple reactors, so that's not it. I also troubleshooted this entire reactor from top to bottom and cannot find a leak. I am also not injecting too much co2, as if I lower it a tiny bit it can't keep up with tank demand, and reactor is oversized for my tank. $3500 peristaltic pump and $1000 custom built, dual stage, stainless steel regular give me all the precision I need to be able to dial in this reactor. These aren't the prices I paid of course, don't get scared by the numbers.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So here's the design guys, what do you think? Will lower the circulating intake by about 1.75" (or can be cut to make it shorter) and then all I need to do is pull the gas/water out through the top lid.

upload_2019-6-27_8-15-20.png

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Korallin has the top pickup down a few inches to let the co2/air go up to the top while it just picks up water. Basically just like that. It has a port where you can keep it closed to tune or open it to drain full time.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Korallin has the top pickup down a few inches to let the co2/air go up to the top while it just picks up water. Basically just like that. It has a port where you can keep it closed to tune or open it to drain full time.

Very nice - I think that's pretty much where I am going with this mod.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut the end off of a salifert alk tube and extended the top intake an AquaMaxx that I won at an event to trap gas too. This is one reason that I love Korallin, but I can add a gas trap to any reactor in a few minutes as long as it is reverse flow. I like to know when I have excess co2 so that I can tune better, so I like to trap it.

I fought a problem with gas filling up the top for about three months once. The first two months were me not believing that it was a leak since I could not find it and thought that I checked everything. The last month was me replacing every line and redoing every fitting one at a time until I found it - this is a terrible process. It was either a pin hole in the effluent supply tubing or an air leak in the fitting that needed new teflon, but it stopped after this fitting. Either way, it took me forever to find it. If you are still getting air with the co2 tank turned off, then you have a leak and I don't envy having to find it.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I cut the end off of a salifert alk tube and extended the top intake an AquaMaxx that I won at an event to trap gas too. This is one reason that I love Korallin, but I can add a gas trap to any reactor in a few minutes as long as it is reverse flow. I like to know when I have excess co2 so that I can tune better, so I like to trap it.

I fought a problem with gas filling up the top for about three months once. The first two months were me not believing that it was a leak since I could not find it and thought that I checked everything. The last month was me replacing every line and redoing every fitting one at a time until I found it - this is a terrible process. It was either a pin hole in the effluent supply tubing or an air leak in the fitting that needed new teflon, but it stopped after this fitting. Either way, it took me forever to find it. If you are still getting air with the co2 tank turned off, then you have a leak and I don't envy having to find it.

That was my thought also - I ran it without CO2 supply for 24 hours and didn't notice gas buildup increase.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the design guys, what do you think? Will lower the circulating intake by about 1.75" (or can be cut to make it shorter) and then all I need to do is pull the gas/water out through the top lid.

upload_2019-6-27_8-15-20.png

Very cool. Please keep us updated with how it performs. I may have to hit you up for one for my GEO 612 as I plan on dosing 2 part for my tank initially before putting my CaRx online when my tank matures down the road.

Last edited:

Dlealrious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a cove calrx. Pretty happy with build quality and it self feeding which is cool though you do need to prime with a feed pump first to remove all the air.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just purchased a cove calrx. Pretty happy with build quality and it self feeding which is cool though you do need to prime with a feed pump first to remove all the air.

Thanks @Dlealrious I moved passed replacement of the reactor with my awesome DIY skills (joking).

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 102 49.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.4%
Back