Best camera for corals without breaking the bank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Devlin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I posted a few pics yesterday of some corals and fish....nikon d7100 and a sigma 105 macro, which is an awesome lens but has a very narrow (and I'm talking mm's) DOF and a narrow field of view. i have recently got myself a sigma 17-50 wide angle lens for those full coral shots. LR (lightroom) i would say is essential, your not doing any way over the top editing like you may do in PS (photoshop) but it is a very powerful editing program.

11036483_10153752125217481_6820406921404192516_n.jpg


i paid £700 for my d7100 and about £380 for the sigma 105 both new.
 
Nikon AW120...from an "all things considered" standpoint - price, adjustability, accuracy, and ease of use...you will not find a better camera. It's $300+tax!

Here are some pics that I've taken:
a05c6cfa22d391a86b52716575d34cdc.jpg

88c547d3fa63cfab9a8a9fa3927b634d.jpg

850b1b2861e74e299a2c74d0769c1319.jpg

7067aa7ccdee885dd15971805526ecd5.jpg

8b1c4b6803de6d257b4870f116a55fd4.jpg
Only 300$ for this camera?
 
Something that can greatly improve photos even from a lower end camera are gel filters. If you want to use them for a cell phone, you can buy a cheap sample book of gel filters and see which one works best for you. I tend to use the CTO filters. Some people use one of the shades of red available. You can find sample books online (they usually have one of each color available) or if you have a camera store nearby you may be able to pick one up for free.
 
Get an old series of the Canon Rebel.

I'm still shooting with a Canon Rebel t2i and I'm very happy with my pictures. You can find them on craigslist for around 200-350$

All of these pictures were taken with the stock kit lens 18-55mm on a canon rebel t2i

IMG_9808.jpg


jawebreaker.jpg


IMG_9917.jpg


Pick up a set of Extension tubes from amazon for 50$ and you got yourself a macro set up.


Honestly there are some big tips you need to learn to take nice sharp pictures. Check out the reef2reef photography forum.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new