Best cheap test kits

Sexytang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for the best test kits for lowest price I’m looking at getting into the hobby and lost all my old test kids and wanting to go cheap

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hanna or salifert. Do not settle for less.
I have a hard time with the thought of buying and relying on a $20 test kit and risk losing $200-$300 of livestock due to false readings or non-user friendly use

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Test kits are probably not a great place to cheap out. If there wasn't a good inexpensive option, you'd really want to go for good instead of inexpensive. Accurate testing equipment is one of the most important things you can get for this hobby, second only to things like "a tank that doesn't leak" and "a decent light".

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert for everything except phosphates, the best cheap kit for that is the Tropic Marin Pro. I do think it’s worth getting Hanna checkers for phosphate and nitrate though. They’re just so much easier to get a clear reading. They’re more expensive upfront, but cheaper in the long run (reagent refills are cheaper than new test kits).

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert is the closest approximation of cheap and good. Long-term, Hanna is the better bet.

This is generally not a hobby where going cheap is rewarded, unless you have the skills to DIY something that works as well as the commercial solutions.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be the cheapest, but I like hanna for ULR phosphate, HR nitrate, HR copper (for quarantine not checking display for copper), and ALK.

I prefer red sea for calcium and magnesium. The procedure is a little easier to be consistent and the overall cost per test is better (initial cost is a lot higher cause it's 100 tests. Refills are very cheap). The alk is nice too, but a little less accurate than the Hanna.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer red sea for calcium and magnesium. The procedure is a little easier to be consistent and the overall cost per test is better (initial cost is a lot higher cause it's 100 tests. Refills are very cheap). The alk is nice too, but a little less accurate than the Hanna.
Why do you say the Hanna Checker is more accurate than the Red Sea Pro Test?

By their own specifications, the Red sea accuracy is +/- 0.15 dkh whilst the Hanna is +/- 0.4 dkH.
The Salifert is +/- 0.3dkH

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you say the Hanna Checker is more accurate than the Red Sea Pro Test?

By their own specifications, the Red sea accuracy is +/- 0.15 dkh whilst the Hanna is +/- 0.4 dkH.
The Salifert is +/- 0.3dkH
Red sea accuracy is not 0.15 that is the precision per ml of titrant used. A single drop of the titration is about 3ml and its hard to accurately tell the end point. In the real world, your titration will vary 5-6 ml between tests of the exact same water sample. This is almost a 1dKH variation. The Hanna is much more consistent between readings like within 0.1 dKH usually, sometimes 0.2

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea accuracy is not 0.15 that is the precision per ml of titrant used. A single drop of the titration is about 3ml and its hard to accurately tell the end point. In the real world, your titration will vary 5-6 ml between tests of the exact same water sample. This is almost a 1dKH variation. The Hanna is much more consistent between readings like within 0.1 dKH usually, sometimes 0.2

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back