Best Clean Up Crew for a Frag Tank

wgowen13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for suggestions or recommendations for a algae/clean up crew for an 80 gal frag tank. It’s currently stocked with 2 emerald green crabs, 5 reef hermit crabs, and a handful to trochus snails. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like asterinas and trochus snails for nuisance algae. A fw eating wrasse would be my next choice, yellow corris probably.

Khoi Mai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like snails but they keep getting out of the tank. Lawnmower or yellow tang would be best.

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies acclimated to saltwater are one of my favorites for algae control. They can't handle super high flow though so it depends on your system.
I must absolutely agree with this comment... My son had two mollies in a FW system he was not taking care of very well. I acclimated them and put them in my reef tank... They absolutely tear through any algae picking it from any thing they can find. I do have a higher flow system (SPS) so they do find a spot to hang out during my peak flows during the day time but come out foraging heavy in the mornings and evenings when my flows are a little less.

Back