Best clean way to Block Light

Albeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like many I have my lights hanging from the ceiling over my tank and the extra light blares all over my living room- makes for a crappy movie watching experience. My tank is only 30g and i have a lot of equipment HOB so it's tough to build a canopy. Any other suggestions on blocking the light so it's directed into the tank rather than around the room? My light fixture is the same size as my tank.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1390053276.159804.jpg

OP
OP
Albeez

Albeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still want easy access for feeding and want to keep the look clean and slick while blocking the light.

OP
OP
Albeez

Albeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how the light fans would vent with a canopy - any good blueprints out there? I've got a few ideas as I've Been considering building a canopy for a while now.

Could just make a three sided one with a crossbar that keeps it on the tank. Open top and open back. To feed and maintenance id just remove the whole thing. Other option is I do the same and jimmy rig something so the front comes off. Last option to try and encase the lights in a box, back will still need to be open for the HOB items. Sides would need to be jigsawed out for ventilation of the lights.

Hoping to upgrade the tank soon so don't want to go crazy, honestly would love a less complicated solution, maybe just tape on some black plastic like paper? Not sure how easy to access for feeding that would be though. Could do the paper so it just went halfway from light to tank so still had access for feeding. Just wouldn't look as nice.

Other thoughts??

chefb_5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would def go with the 3 sided canopy with cross bar, so all u have to do is grab cross bar and lift off and make the canopy with light or thin wood.

Genesis Corals

Genesis 1:21
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED lights. I believe you have T5's. My LEDs while not perfect are far more directed then T5's are ever going to be, just simply by design. Otherwise a canopy, there are some cool designs out there.

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to make a 'canopy' that hangs from the light, which hangs from the ceiling. I'll make it out of 1/4" plywood or some crown molding, angled from the bottom of the light towards the top rim of the tank. Mine will only hang down 3-4" below the light.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be in the same situation, as we plan on building a 40 breeder for clams in the living room. We really like the acrylic rimless tank with a Kessil pendant, so viewing over the top of the tank is unobstructed. Sô if you want to change out your current lighting check out Kessil, as being a pendant the light is directed downward.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe black cloth and attatch it to the light?
quick and easy

+1 just throw a blanket over the tank when you're watching a movie or something. You could also slowly acclimate your corals to get used to the light closer to the water. That will reduce light spilling out. That in combination with a dark blanket should do it.

Last edited:

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My T5 Fixture just sits on the Glass Top so I get absolutly no Light Spillage out of the Aquarium.

That would be the best Idea.

OP
OP
Albeez

Albeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all - I decided to build a canopy with a removable front that will match the stand I built. I got everything yesterday - just need a table saw so I can cut some 45 degree angles. I'll post a couple
Pics when it's done. For now I'm going with the cloth idea until it's built!

lucky7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a tek fixture, you could use the mounting legs to sit it on the tank

OP
OP
Albeez

Albeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome canopy and stand - very sleek - Still doesn't solve the light going everywhere problem though...

M&M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome canopy and stand - very sleek - Still doesn't solve the light going everywhere problem though...

It did solved for me, focuses light to go down in to aquarium , not spill in the room. Had the same problem as you, my tank sits in my living room where TV is too.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 47 48.0%
  • Full frame

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 37 37.8%
  • All of the above

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back