best damselfish for a community system

Thomasflynn15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to have a damselfish in my aquarium but am aware of the warning against their nature. I heard Azure (not to be confused with the yellowtail) Damsels are the least aggressive species as far as damselfish go. My current stock:

1 pair of occelaris

1 Royal Gramma

1 pair of banggais

I plan on adding:

1 CBA (may need to return if it starts nipping at corals)
1 Yelow watchman/pisto shrimp pair
1 agae blennie
1 cleaner shrimp

If I add the Azure (or whatever species you recommend) as the last fish will it increase my success of having it be a good community member?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Azure is my favorite I have no issues with them. Occasionally aggressive to new fish if they get close to his place.
True Springeri is another I have had no issues with.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people have good luck with talbots. But azure damsels are really popular and you can get captive bred ones.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only put one in, if you know you can get it out.

I got duped into trusting a Roland's damel and it's giving me problems, or I should say giving my Chromis and Gramma problems.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a lovely captive-bred lemon damsel that got along swimmingly with everyone else in my IM40 before the tank was wiped out in a bleach disaster. It ate aggressively, but did not bully.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a yellowtail in my prior tank. It would puff and put up a show if anything came really close to the big conch shell it lived in, but would mostly tail-slap rather than nipping, and ignored anything that didn't come up close. Not really more aggressive than a royal gramma in terms of actual physical contact, just a bit more blustering first. The worst I ever saw it do was annoy my yellow watchman into not sitting immediately next to the shell.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it depends on the size of the tank. Also, I'd put a damsel in last or near the end so that others have territory already established.
This. How big is the tank?

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to have a damselfish in my aquarium but am aware of the warning against their nature. I heard Azure (not to be confused with the yellowtail) Damsels are the least aggressive species as far as damselfish go. My current stock:

1 pair of occelaris

1 Royal Gramma

1 pair of banggais

I plan on adding:

1 CBA (may need to return if it starts nipping at corals)
1 Yelow watchman/pisto shrimp pair
1 agae blennie
1 cleaner shrimp

If I add the Azure (or whatever species you recommend) as the last fish will it increase my success of having it be a good community member?
I have had 3 Talbot's damselfish ( 1 male 2 females) for over a week now in my QT right now with a Royal Gramma. The Gramma was initially more aggressive than the damselfishes. It appears hey both have carved out their own territory and have been on good terms since.

Will59031

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second or third the Azure Damsel have 4 and they do not bother anything but each other. Great fish and fun to watch them go in and out of their “homes” they have staked out

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 29 gallon with a Coral Beauty, Ocellaris pair and two azure damsels. the two damsels were only aggressive with each other to the extent that they stayed on opposite ends of the tank, however one of the Ocellaris would play cat and mouse with them continuously. I'm not sure if they were stressed by it, but eventually I took them out. The coral Beauty just did what it wanted tike the others were not there. A passive boss.

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some beautiful chromis and a small school ( 3 to 5) but got tired of trying damsels all together unless I was to have a damsel tank

Avp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had zero problems with the azure damsel in my tank. It's really a beautiful little fish and a model citizen.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allen’s damsels are another good option. They do well in groups and are mild mannered.
B5D1F6A7-3349-4316-AEF5-3524F0DE1782.jpeg

Back