Best DC Pump to replace my Reeflo Manta Ray?

EriktheRed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I need some advice. I am looking for a powerful, high-pressure DC pump to use to replace my Reeflo Manta Ray return pump. The pumps needs to be powerful enough to power the configuration I have specified below, but not so overpowered as to waste energy and needlessly heat the water it is pumping. The Manta Ray is a nice pump (I custom-ordered it with a Baldor motor and in the 220V/1P configuration), but it heats up my water more than I would like (especially during the summer months, where it causes my chiller to run more than I would like). I also think that the Manta Ray is a power hog relative to other options that may be out there. My current setup has the following components and configuration:

1. 210 gallon display tank (fish only) - located in basement.
2. 150 gallon display tank (reef/fish) - located on first floor in living room.
3. 90 gallon sump - located under 210 gallon display tank in basement. The sump contains the following:

a. Eshopps WD-125CS Wet/Dry filter refitted so that both chambers contain bioballs. The return water from both aquariums passes through the two chambers first, and then through the bottom of the WD-125CS unit itself into the 90 gallon sump, providing biological filtration.

b. An older (yet large) Reef Octopus protein skimmer. This skimmer is currently broken; I am in the process of fixing it. I am using an external Reef Octopus skimmer (see below) to fill in until I get this skimmer back up on its feet again. It is similar to the Reef Octopus Super Protein Skimmer SRO-5000INT, but it uses two Sicce PSK-1000 pumps (retrofitted from the original Sicce PSK-2500 pumps).

c. Neptune Systems ATO Kit

d. Neptune Systems temperature, pH, ORP, and salinity probes.

The water then passes through the Reeflo Manta Ray pump and is pumped through the following:

Lifegard R176136 M-Series M6 Commercial Cartridge Filter array (mechanical filter).

Aqua UV 80 Watt 2 inch w/ Wiper UV Sterilizer.

The return water is then manifolded in the following manner:

Port 1: Supply line for 150 gallon display tank upstairs.

Port 2: Supply to 2 different fluidized bed reactors

• AquaMaxx Fluidized GFO and Carbon Filter Media Reactor – XL (contains Bulk Reef Supply Granular Ferric Oxide). Water returns to sump.
  • AquaMaxx Fluidized GFO and Carbon Filter Media Reactor – XXL (contains Bulk Reef Supply Premium Rox 0.8 Aquarium Carbon; connected in series). Water returns to sump.
Port 3: Supply line 1 for 210 gallon display tank.

Port 4: Supply line 2 for 210 gallon display tank.

Port 5: Supply line for 1hp Corallife Chiller. Returns into sump after first passing through a Reef Octopus Regal 300EXT external skimmer. I installed this protein skimmer temporarily, because the main, in-sump protein skimmer broke and I have not gotten around to fixing it. I will eventually be using this Regal 300EXT external skimmer on a 540 gallon display tank I am setting up in my basement.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2548.JPG
    IMG_2548.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2502.JPG
    IMG_2502.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2534.JPG
    IMG_2534.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 75

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save your money by spending bit more and get red dragon. Red dragon and abyzz are the only vendors I know off that build their own dc pumps including core parts. Good german engineering right there.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be spending a bit of cash from a 550 dollar pump to a A400 Abyzz at 2007 dollars and only 30 feet of head. Might be better to try a couple of pumps running two different systems than all eggs in one basket. An is the heat issue that big of a deal or can if you couldvremedied
in another way say with a fan or chiller.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Ohashimz! I will look into those two brands.
Check the red dragon 50 or 100watt based in your flow requirment.
I wanted to save 200 and went with vectra in the past just to realize I wasted 500$ and ended up buying red dragon and had the vectra as back up.
Abyzz is more expensive but red dragon is great option.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back