Best DIY roller mat?

whitelightning77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have a link to a good DIY roller mat? One of the more recent BRS videos sparked an interest in me making a DIY Manual roller mat filter.

I know the basics of how it works (box with an exit and some roller guides to guide the filter media). But I'm interested it getting some more detailed pics of how to build the box and guides, does the mat need to on tight to the box to allow no water to bypass the filter media or it some by pass ok,etc.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to see plans of that myself...
If anyone has done a DIY roller at, I’m interested in the motor/advancing mechanism, esp w/regard to electricity/water safety.

Cam333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have a link to a good DIY roller mat? One of the more recent BRS videos sparked an interest in me making a DIY Manual roller mat filter.

I know the basics of how it works (box with an exit and some roller guides to guide the filter media). But I'm interested it getting some more detailed pics of how to build the box and guides, does the mat need to on tight to the box to allow no water to bypass the filter media or it some by pass ok,etc.
Here is my manual setup - might automate it at some point.

Attachments

• 2B29B5FE-432F-4BB7-840D-6D367F912B6B.jpeg
    2B29B5FE-432F-4BB7-840D-6D367F912B6B.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 376

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2o2 is water with an extra atom of oxygen added on. The ingredients should say distilled water under inactive ingredients. if it says purified water, then anything could be in there, even tin.

aruns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a DIY filter roller based off these (will share details in a post at some point). These are the 2 best examples that I have bookmarked, really well thought out and well explained

Got the idea for the circuit from this youtube video:

And I got the idea for the drive mechanism built inside one of the rollers from this one: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-roller-mat-filter.724416/

I then took the rough dimensions of the 6" clarisea and built one using cheap 1$/lb acrylic shorts from tapplastic. Here's mine

As can be seen, I didn't have the correct sized acrylic, so just "glued" pieces together. Has held well as it's not really supporting anything heavy.

IMG_20200711_113136.jpg

Works really well, I am using the Clarisea 6" XL filter roll with it. Only 2 issues I had 1) I wasn't getting a good seal where I am using nylon screws, so used silicone. to seal the edges 2) the DFRobot optical sensor was messed up and got stuck in WET position a couple of times, leading to the entire roll being used at once. I got around this by replacing the optical sensor and then programming my Apex to switch ON the roller only for 5 seconds every 15 minutes
IMG_20200711_211834.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back