3D Printed Filter Roller

Sold4jc7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 66.7%
2   1   0
I'm new to 3d printing but wanted to see if I could add a filter roller to my tank. I had limited space and didn't want to change my plumbing, so I spent some time on Tinkercad. The holder for the new fleece and the roller for the used fleece are both separate pieces that I attached to my stand. The return pipe is 1.5" and drains directly into the filter roller cage. I'm not sure what my flow is through my overflow but I'm using a Clarisea SK-3000 roll.

20210116_161234.jpg 20210116_161258.jpg 20210119_133728.jpg 20210119_131849.jpg

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to 3d printing but wanted to see if I could add a filter roller to my tank. I had limited space and didn't want to change my plumbing, so I spent some time on Tinkercad. The holder for the new fleece and the roller for the used fleece are both separate pieces that I attached to my stand. The return pipe is 1.5" and drains directly into the filter roller cage. I'm not sure what my flow is through my overflow but I'm using a Clarisea SK-3000 roll.

20210116_161234.jpg 20210116_161258.jpg 20210119_133728.jpg 20210119_131849.jpg
Nice, that looks awesome! Ive been wanting to do something like this too. Is yours motorized? Or do you have to manually advance the spool?

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Red_Beard, as of right now, it's manual. This was the first attempt for proof of concept. I'm already thinking about motorizing it and adding a float switch connected to my apex.
Still very cool. Looks like it should work fine as long as you dont forget to turn it. You will have to update when you automate! Thanks for the inspiration :)

OP
OP
Sold4jc7

Sold4jc7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 66.7%
2   1   0
Very nice design. Did you print it in one piece or parts you glue together? I have something similar in progress and mine is printers in pieces that you need to glue together

That looks great. I printed mine in pieces and glued it together. I thought printing it as one piece would waste a lot of material in supports.

Are you going to motorize your filter roller?

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm super interested in this! Great idea. I wonder what motor could be used though, as it basically needs to be sealed against all the water and salt around it...

peterj66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks great. I printed mine in pieces and glued it together. I thought printing it as one piece would waste a lot of material in supports.

Are you going to motorize your filter roller?
Yes, working on the finish so the filtermaterial runs smoothly now then I’m going to solder the motor relay board. Hopefully it will work out as I plan :)

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy that once you work out any kinks. I really don't understand how these relatively simple devices are commanding $400+.

Also a simple rotating auto feeder such as the Eheim Auto Feeder attached to the "used" roll would be a cheap "auto-roller". Every time the auto feeder runs it will turn causing a small section of new roll to pull through. No fancy switches needed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sold4jc7

Sold4jc7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 66.7%
2   1   0
Advancing it by hand is still easier than cleaning socks. I would be all over this.
That was the reason I decided to try and do something manual first. I'm waiting to see how long the filter lasts before it overflows. I'm at over 12 hours and still good. If I have to advance it once a day manually, I'm good with that simple task. I believe I will control how often it needs to be turned based on how much of the roll I advance. If I run all new fleece through the unit, I should get more time than advancing it a few inches.

Also attaching a simple rotating auto feeder to the "used" roll such as the Eheim Auto Feeder and call it done. Every time the auto feeder runs it will turn and a small section of new roll will show up. No fancy switches needed.
The auto feeder is not a bad idea. I wonder if it has enough torque to turn the roller.

Yes, working on the finish so the filtermaterial runs smoothly now then I’m going to solder the motor relay board. Hopefully it will work out as I plan :)
If you are willing to share some details on the motor and relay board, that would be awesome. You have a great design and put a lot more time into your design. Mine was swift and dirty to see if it worked.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back