OP
OP
Sold4jc7

Sold4jc7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 66.7%
2   1   0
The roller has been working with minimal issues. I have thought about reprinting it and adding more guides for the filter paper. I haven't had to deal with filter socks for over a week, which is sweet. I manually roll the filter every day, and it seems to work. I'm pleased with the outcome when I consider the little effort I put into the design.

@Frank_Aaron, I'm going to check out your design. I look forward to your CNC roller.

Frank_Aaron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The roller has been working with minimal issues. I have thought about reprinting it and adding more guides for the filter paper. I haven't had to deal with filter socks for over a week, which is sweet. I manually roll the filter every day, and it seems to work. I'm pleased with the outcome when I consider the little effort I put into the design.

@Frank_Aaron, I'm going to check out your design. I look forward to your CNC roller.
Motor is on the way. Going to start with the cuts then finish with 3d printing the motor components.

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 4.28.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 4.28.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 4.32.21 PM.png

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Creality Ender 3 v2 an Sunlu PLA. If PLA eventually shows signs of breaking down I might switch to another filament, but my printed algae scrubber shows no problems after running a couple of months.

I have used PETG on a few pod hotels. It does not break down in water. Would consider ABS but wash it first too. Definitely harder to print the ABS though.

Amazon basics makes a quality PETG.

brunera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Motor is on the way. Going to start with the cuts then finish with 3d printing the motor components.

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 4.28.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 4.28.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 4.32.21 PM.png
Nice! Any chance you could share the file? I've been thinking about putting one of these together for the filter sock chamber in the back of my IM Nuvo Fusion 40 AIO. It'd be nice to not start from scratch.

Frank_Aaron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT SPINS!!!!!

The motor came in and I've printed the motor side of the unit. Other than my lack of tolerance for the screw holes, everything fits together and works well!

A bit to cold in STL for me to get the energy to go out to the garage and fire up the CNC for the housing. But I'm hoping to have it cut within the next week.

IMG_4876.jpg
IMG_4877.jpg
IMG_4878.jpg
IMG_4879.jpg
IMG_4881.jpg
IMG_4882.jpg

Frank_Aaron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have stl files by chance? That is pretty slick design and I wonder if I can print it on ender 3.
I'll get them up over my lunch break. I printed all of these parts on my ender 3. For the actual filter housing, I'm assuming you could just grab some plastic sheets (PVC, ABS, Acrylic, HDPE) and cut out the shapes with a table saw and some drill bits.

lost66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get them up over my lunch break. I printed all of these parts on my ender 3. For the actual filter housing, I'm assuming you could just grab some plastic sheets (PVC, ABS, Acrylic, HDPE) and cut out the shapes with a table saw and some drill bits.
That would be great, looking forward to print it.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the drive wheel, are you guys hard mounting the motor so that it stays stationary and then just putting a bigger tube around it so that the larger tube spins around it via the motor's drive shaft?

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes what you guys are doing here so super awesome, is that I no longer have to find one that sorta-kinda fits my sump, or fits it with light sawing, or needs me to buy a new sump. I can take your awesome designs, pull them up in a simple editor, change dimensions around, and boom, perfectly adapted to my sump/waterflow/overflow/etc etc.

This is just great. Go you. So awesome.

Frank_Aaron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the drive wheel, are you guys hard mounting the motor so that it stays stationary and then just putting a bigger tube around it so that the larger tube spins around it via the motor's drive shaft?
Yeah so I didn't have the hole spacing for the motor before I printed the parts so I ended up just drilling 3 holes to mount the motor to the small tube. This small tube has a rigid connection to the overall frame. The outer tube is driven by the motor and rotates the filter fabric.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So do you even need tube for the motor to fit in if you just mount it to the frame? It seems like the motor could just be placed inside the larger tube for the fabric.

Frank_Aaron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So do you even need tube for the motor to fit in if you just mount it to the frame? It seems like the motor could just be placed inside the larger tube for the fabric.
100% This is all overkill. I just got bored and decided to 3d model a copy of the Clarisea filter roller, and used their motor layout. One advantage is it makes the unit more compact. For the setup you are talking about the motor would extrude out from the frame making its footprint in the sump bigger. (See Bubble Magus Filter Roll for an example of the mortar mounted this way)

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am envisioning is a bracket the moves the motor away from the frame a little. Then a circle or two of acrylic (I'll be working with acrylic since I have a laser engraver and cutter and no 3D printer) that attaches to the drive shaft. These circles have an o-ring around them that the filter fabric tube would slide over for a firm fit. Would something like that not work? I've never seen one of these in person so I'm not sure what the best way to attach the fabric tubes to it is.

Frank_Aaron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it warmed up enough to fire up the CNC in the garage.

The tolerances on these parts is super tight. Its not coming apart on its own, but when I cut it again I'm going to give myself a few thousands more clearance.

tempImagex5Ruet.png tempImagev7Y0Rb.png tempImageyfjKqa.png

Next up I'm going to program some ESP8266 chips to drive the float switch and a 5v relay to activate the motor. I want to program in some fail safes incase the float sticks on, or the roll runs out.

Anyone else making headway on their rollers?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back