Best EC/mS Meter For Limewater Measurement?

What EC meter do you like the best?

• Pinpoint Salinity Meter @ $120

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hanna DiST 4 EC meter @ 48

• Hanna HI98130 pH/EC/TDS meter @ $150

• Milwaukee EC60 EC/TDS/Temp meter @ $72

• HM Digital EC-3M EC meter @ $23

• Digital Aquatics SL2v2 + Salinity Probe Kit @ $200

• Hach Pocket Pro High Range Conductivity Tester @ $68

• Hach Pocket Pro+ Multi 1 Conductivity/Salinity/TDS Tester @ $115

• Hach Pocket Pro+ Multi2 pH/Cond/TDS/Salinity Tester @ $180

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This poll involves some models of conductivity tester that were suggested to me here as well as some I've bumped into from researching.

They are not directly comparable to one another since they range from single-function one-piece dip-meters to multifunction, corded handhelds. I'm looking for an overall value/quality recommendation.

My primary goal is to have a meter to gauge when my kalkwasser reactor needs to be recharged, so being able to read above 10.0 mS/cm is a must. Measuring in mS/cm is also a must.

The HM Digital EC-3M appears to read above 9.99 mS, just at a lower precision. Does anyone know if/how this works or if I mis-read their site? Will it read over 9.99 mS?

The Reefkeeper Salinity probe was recommended, but it appears to read in ppm, not mS. Does this still work fine for my purpose? I do have an RKL with an available port for the module.

Are there any options I should look at which are not listed in the poll? Any other concerns I should weigh before deciding?

Thanks in advance!!

Here're some manufacturer links to get you started!

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this'll just be a collection of thoughts. ;)

The Hach meters seem nice, but they want close to $20 for shipping. I can get a combo unit for $5 with free shipping imported directly from China just for me, but getting a meter from Hach costs $20 to get it from them (in Colorado!) to me. How's that for modern tragedy?

The HM Digital has the bargain, but I'm not certain it's range goes high enough. Hanna's DiST 4 is a close second in the bargain category and probably my initial favorite.

The Milwaukee combo unit seems like a good value, for a combo unit.

The rest are generally around twice as money as I was planning to spend, but all are still attractive for various reasons. Gonna have to digest those options some more.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that Grainger (up the street from me) has the DiST 4 on clearance for $33! At that rate, I think we have a winner. May even pick it up tomorrow - take that Amazon! :p

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! Never knew anything like this existed. In regards to the Hanna DIST 4, is this what you still use? what values on the checker do you see and know when it is time to load up the kalk again. I've always done mine based off my alk reading from a salifert kit.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It goes to zero pretty fast, so there's not much question when it needs to be charged.....and I think fully saturated limewater is about 11.0 off the top of my head.

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It goes to zero pretty fast, so there's not much question when it needs to be charged.....and I think fully saturated limewater is about 11.0 off the top of my head.
that;s the info i was looking for. It looks like the hanna measures TDS also, so double win!

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have combo meters that have upwards of 4 or 6 parameters they can measure if you're all about it! :)

john.m.cole3

cyclOps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have combo meters that have upwards of 4 or 6 parameters they can measure if you're all about it! :)
eh... I like my salifert kits. how often does this have to be calibrated. I hope it's not as finicky as the ph checker from them...

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back