OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you check behind certain stores, some places you can find pallets. There's a restaurant near where I live where there's always a stack behind the store. They burn plenty well. Careful on the roads.
Keeping my fingers crossed. Checking back on home to see if powers on and will start gas station hopping. The power is off at most every gas station near me.

This is utterly devastating. Hopefully I can serve as an example for others not to make this same mistake. Everything in my tank is going to die if I don’t find firewood.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the small generator work? I feel like running gas powered anything is a bad idea inside a house..
YOU DONT RUN IT INSIDE. There's always a few folks each year that do themselves in from carbon monoxide poisoning by running one inside. Run it outside, well away from any windows or doors and run an extension cord to the things that need powering.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything you can find locally can work to save your tank, but it sounds like you just missed that (I've been there!). If ordering, I love our Champion dual-fuel inverter generator. It's clean power that won't damage electronics and runs off propane so you don't have to worry about clogged carburetors.

And just to reaffirm what ca1ore said, DO NOT RUN A GENERATOR INSIDE! It WILL kill you. Run it outside away from any open doors or windows. A garage should be considered inside.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it’s getting late and it’s far too dangerous to drive. Was unable to find any firewood, duraflame logs, or adapters.

Here’s to hoping for the best.
FEE49E94-EF41-4EB5-B953-227439035C1B.jpeg
275570AD-9101-4506-9960-B159C9487E4A.jpeg

LVReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the redneck guide to reefing. You will have two urgent problems:
1) Oxygenation of the water. You want to create surface water movement. You don't need to move it crazy, but you need movement. Hindsight 20/20 but if anyone is reading this and on a budget, emergency air pumps are $35. Obviously this doesn't help you right now.

2) Keep the water above 72F. 2L bottles of Soda filled with hot water. Use a grill if you need to and heat a pot of water.

3) That's it. Don't feed the fish, coral, etc.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very fortunate last night. I believe it's because I live on the same grid as a hospital or something but my power never went out. This is a wake up call to go ahead and get a backup generator and other emergency supplies as soon as I can.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very fortunate last night. I believe it's because I live on the same grid as a hospital or something but my power never went out. This is a wake up call to go ahead and get a backup generator and other emergency supplies as soon as I can.
Glad to hear things worked out. The storm ended up being pretty light in our part of the state (Vermont). Just had to shovel the driveway. They still called a snow day though. Was a good reminder to get the generator out and check it over, we haven't had to use it in a couple of years, fortunately.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you made it through the night, seems like you might not need it but another option is if you have a propane grill you can use it to heat water. Far from ideal but better then nothing.
This was a lesson in considering plan b, c, d, e... By the time I realized generators were out of the question, all firewood had been sold out. As an eagle scout, I forget our motto: be prepared, that which I was not. I really feel for the 5 million Texans without power though. There are 2 million people that have gone 30 hours without power and it got down to 5 degrees F last night. Many have posted pictures of their refrigerators being warmer than the inside of their homes.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverter/generator. Small motors suffer from thd’s that regular generators put out. THD’s should be 5% or below.

anemoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a lesson in considering plan b, c, d, e... By the time I realized generators were out of the question, all firewood had been sold out. As an eagle scout, I forget our motto: be prepared, that which I was not. I really feel for the 5 million Texans without power though. There are 2 million people that have gone 30 hours without power and it got down to 5 degrees F last night. Many have posted pictures of their refrigerators being warmer than the inside of their homes.
Wow that really is crazy, being from PA those temps aren't that unusual most winters but people expect them and plan accordingly. I can totally image it catching people and the grid off guard and causing huge issues.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was in the same boat here in Houston. So far we’ve made it without interruption but my plan was to take my nano tank and hospital tank and put them both in the tub with slow running warm water from my gas water heater surrounding them and over flowing into drain. I’m looking at champion inverter/generator’s. They put out 3% THD and I can run my gas furnace Without burning up my control board. Not to mention lights and plugs.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that really is crazy, being from PA those temps aren't that unusual most winters but people expect them and plan accordingly. I can totally image it catching people and the grid off guard and causing huge issues.
Our grid wasn’t designed for the high demands of heating elements.....I suspect a ton of extra load put a strain on our grid system. Boggles my mind that residents were asked to conserve energy while multi floor virtually empty buildings were running business as usual. Texans underestimate cold the same way northerners underestimate heat.....

anemoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another home heat tip from a friend up north. If things get bad use plastic sheeting to seal off a single room and close vents/ducts or put heat source in that room. I've never had to resort to this but it has been part of my emergency plan for awhile. It's especially useful when trying to conserve generator fuel.

LVReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverter/generator. Small motors suffer from thd’s that regular generators put out. THD’s should be 5% or below.

One precision that is important to note is that this is true for motors that operate directly from main. In a reef tank, this is going to be your return/reactor pumps if there AC . Resistive loads (heaters) are unaffected. AC->DC converters built in the last 15 years will use solid-state rectifiers, which are immune to TDH (At the cost of efficiency but we're not worried about that for in an emergency). So if you have a generator that outputs dirty power and your tank needs power, I'd use it instead of nothing. Even if you have an AC pump, the motor might run with less flow and more heat but I'd rather shorten the life of a pump than shorten the life of my fish.
DC pumps are immune because they take AC, transform it to DC, adjust the voltage, then convert it to 3-phase AC to run the pump with variable speed and more efficiency (120deg magnetic poles vs 180)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're all sold out. Not even inverters. Waiting on fb marketplace.

Always thought I was fine since I live in Dallas... DON'T EVER THINK YOU ARE OK. I still have power but need to think up of something asap or I'm screwed.
Funny story. I’ve never been to Texas but maybe 15-20 years ago, my plane stopped over at Dallas Fort Worth and we were grounded because of ice. Apparently they weren’t used to deicing planes. My only Texas story ever.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One precision that is important to note is that this is true for motors that operate directly from main. In a reef tank, this is going to be your return/reactor pumps if there AC . Resistive loads (heaters) are unaffected. AC->DC converters built in the last 15 years will use solid-state rectifiers, which are immune to TDH (At the cost of efficiency but we're not worried about that for in an emergency). So if you have a generator that outputs dirty power and your tank needs power, I'd use it instead of nothing. Even if you have an AC pump, the motor might run with less flow and more heat but I'd rather shorten the life of a pump than shorten the life of my fish.
DC pumps are immune because they take AC, transform it to DC, adjust the voltage, then convert it to 3-phase AC to run the pump with variable speed and more efficiency (120deg magnetic poles vs 180)
Agreed, However. I’d rather make an investment that doesn’t pose a threat of burning up my other investments. Harmonics can reek havoc on electronics. Transformers step down voltage then rectifiers convert ac to dc. Those transformers are vulnerable to high THD’s (harmonics) within their windings. 20 years of commercial electrical experience, I’ve seen electricity do weird things. I personally wouldn’t trust a regular generator for anything past camping.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the cold or weather at all, it's the fact that none of us have power. 5 million people have gone 30 hours with no power. Their homes are colder than their refrigerators. I'd take -30 degrees F with power in Minnesota over 5 degrees with no power in Texas any day of the week. I'd even take our Texas summers with no ac over this. My grandfather who is 95 has gone 20 hours now with no power.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the cold or weather at all, it's the fact that none of us have power. 5 million people have gone 30 hours with no power. Their homes are colder than their refrigerators. I'd take -30 degrees F with power in Minnesota over 5 degrees with no power in Texas any day of the week. I'd even take our Texas summers with no ac over this. My grandfather who is 95 has gone 20 hours now with no power.
No power in any emergency situation certainly sucks. Grid is slowly recovering but get your GP ready for another round of blackouts.....another front is on its way.

OP
OP
living_tribunal

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No power in any emergency situation certainly sucks. Grid is slowly recovering but get your GP ready for another round of blackouts.....another front is on its way.
I can't find a generator anywhere unfortunately! I do think that they have slowly repaired about half of the wind turbines and I imagine they are prepping them for this storm.

Since I've been so fortunate, I'm opening up my empty, yet running, frag qt to emergency hold any local reefers fish or frags for the next couple of days. If you all have any friends in Dallas that could not get a generator, feel free to dm me and I'm more than happy to help them out.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back