Generator Recommendations?

Caleb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi all,

With Black Friday sales in place and cold weather on the way, I figured it was about time to get a generator. That being said, I’d still like to keep it budget friendly. I know an inverter generator would be best, but other than that, I do not have a lot of knowledge when it comes to generators. I was hoping I could get some input on what size generator to buy.

Some info on my setup:

I have 2 tanks running. I have a Waterbox Peninsula 4820 (~100g) and a 25g IM Lagoon. The generator would need to power both tanks in the event of an outage. The necessary equipment would consist of a Sicce SDC 6.0 return pump, 2x MP40s, Helio 500 watt heater, 2x small Sicce return pumps for the 25g lagoon, 1x MP10, and a Helio 200 watt heater.

I don’t really need anything fancy. I hope to never have to use it, but would like to be prepared.

Any input is appreciated!

AlexKintner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out with a Generac 6500. It reliably did the job, but made a heck of a racket. It was really hard to take the noise and vibration after a few hours.

Last year we upgraded to the Honda 2200i and couldn't be happier. It's so compact and quiet I won't hesitate to fire it up even if I know the power will only be out for a few hours. To me it's worth the extra up-front cost.

I've also been told that the Honda knock-offs from Harbor Freight are suspiciously similar ;)

Hope this helps

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As someone who just can't seem to find the money for the best one which would be a Honda generator, I've found that Generac's are very good generators and I currently use a Harbor Freight Predator generator and I'm very happy with it. Years ago I had a separate box ( Gentran ) installed which is very handy.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harbor Freight are the bare minimum. If you are not going to use them much, then they are likely fine - hours is the downfall and not so much calendar time. If you want to use them daily for job-site type of work, they probably won't last a year, but certianly should be fine for a few blizzards or ice storms. The next step up is Sams/Costco where you can take them back years later if you have issues - they usually sell good ones and good prices with solid heads and motors - these can usually handle daily use pretty well for a while.

Get a bit of a larger one if you can. During long outages you might want to run your lights and a TV and fridge/freezer is good too. We had a 14 day ice storm outage once that was during the super bowl, so I needed a TV for sports. If you have a natural gas or propane run furnace, the rest of it is low powered, so you can pigtail in a cord and heat your home too (this can be done safely, so learn the right way).

Whatever you do, let the carbs run dry of gas, or learn how to un gum the carbs. The cheaper the unit the cheaper the carbs and they can gum up. I put a fuel shut off on all of mine, turn it closed and let the thing run until it shuts off... turn the fuel back on, wait a minute and then they fire right up next year.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You stated cold weather coming, so I take it that you are not in Ca. if so buy now because Jan 1st you will not be able to.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you looking to spend? I paid about 700 for my Caterpillar RP5500. It's a beast. Ran my entire 180g tank, central a/c(3 or 3.5 ton,18 seer, variable displacement compressor) , fridge, tv, lights and neighbors fridge and some lights for 11 or 12 days straight... as jda mentioned-run it dry before storing. This way its ready at a moment's notice. If you don't mind spending more, inverter generators are safer for sensitive electronics/ brushless motors; Honda having the best reputation. Whatever you choose, understand and follow guidelines for hooking up and running safety

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you can run your generator off propane it definitely will help keep it running clean. Edit this one is gas only.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back