Questions about setting up emergency tank for coral

Thisisfine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an outbreak of ich in a 120DT and am going to try with hypo rather than removing the fish due to size, number etc. I do not have very much coral but want to move coral and inverts to an emergency tank during the process.

What's the most successful way to do this? The e-tank is a 40b. I will be moving some rock etc. from DT to the 40b. Need to move corals and inverts asap so this is the bind. I need to start hypo - I can move 35g from DT to 40b with rock, lights etc. but that would leave the DT -35g and not enough to run sump/skimmer and adding RODI back to full would be too drastic of a salinity change going towards hypo.

What's the alternative to be able to get the 40b up and running and transfer corals and inverts asap? Partial made up SW with some from DT? Would I need to add something like Fritz or another bacteria in a bottle?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, don't transfer of the sand. Second, moving some rock from your DT is fine. I would mix up new saltwater for the emergency tank, combine with the rock and enough Bio-Spira for 40 gallons. That should insta-cycle everything and allow you to move your corals and inverts across immediately. Don't forget lighting, flow and filtration.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back