When to worry about dusky wrasse

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dusky wrasse came out of hypo quarantine 3 days ago. I brought it out of hypo over the course of 5 days which I think should have been gradual enough. She never showed any signs of distress as it went up in salinity.

The first day out of hypo and into my main DT she was happily swimming around and super excited to have sand for the first time in over a month… she has been missing since!

Tank mates:

-tiny six line wrasse (no signs of aggression from him toward anyone in the tank and he’s swimming out in the open as usual)
-orchid dottyback
-royal gramma
-black ocellaris
-Orange ocellaris
-4 green chromis
-2 yellow tangs
-gem tang
-fox face

I know these guys like to burrow in the sand and stuff like that so how long can they hide for without signs of life. I think I’ve seen “puffs” of sand so I do think it’s burrowed somewhere in the sand bed but I wish I had more concrete signs of life.

Thanks!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t go hunting for them, ever. They’ll come out when they are ready. I’ve kept a dusky in my tank for over a decade. They last about 7 years then old age gets them. Is yours a juvenile? A true ‘peacock’ once mature. Also a very useful janitor, though murder on the CUC.

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t go hunting for them, ever. They’ll come out when they are ready. I’ve kept a dusky in my tank for over a decade. They last about 7 years then old age gets them. Is yours a juvenile? A true ‘peacock’ once mature. Also a very useful janitor, though murder on the CUC.
She’s been out and about since and loving life. Eats nori off the clip with my tangs and fox face. Still a juvenile so currently dark blue with green and orange lines. I’ve had her about 4-5 months or so. She ate all of my Berghia’s in my old tank. Definitely good at finding them, would nose dive into the sand. Super fun to watch. Looking forward to watching her mature, I know it’s going to be an awesome show!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics? I will go first...
IMG_6377.jpg

OP
OP
C

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics? I will go first...
IMG_6377.jpg
967470EB-14B6-4A68-B29B-C5D275E393FA.jpeg

She’s been hard to photograph. This is a picture from a few weeks ago in quarantine (she’s the only survivor of an ich outbreak). She went through 30 days of hypo like a champ. Would burry herself into a small, thin pile of sand at the corner of the tank. She’s much more beautiful in person. Some day I’ll get better at photographing these guys!

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

She’s been hard to photograph. This is a picture from a few weeks ago in quarantine (she’s the only survivor of an ich outbreak). She went through 30 days of hypo like a champ. Would burry herself into a small, thin pile of sand at the corner of the tank. She’s much more beautiful in person. Some day I’ll get better at photographing these guys!
Oh yeah! She is a looker. I take video and then snag a capture when they are posed nicely. Give it a try.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cannot tell for sure, but those look like adult colors.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back