Best external skimmer for a 240?

lucas-grimm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 240 gal mixed reef (sps dominant) and i want to implement ozone via a skimmer. I don’t have a sump other than a hob fuge that has about 5 inches of clearence so i don’t think there are any skimmers that would fit in there. Any recommendations?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Reef octopus or AquaMaxx

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef octopus are great as are lifereef skimmers. How much space do you have for the external skimmer and where do you plan to have it plumbed? Dont want it to siphon water in case the power goes off or something so planning is important on these

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 240 sps with out a sump?
show is your magic!!

I don’t have one but hear great thinks about life reef. They also have the best HOB overflow ( only one I would trust ) if you do want a sump for the skimmer and other goodies.

worth looking into would give you along more options with skimmers.

OP
OP
L

lucas-grimm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef octopus are great as are lifereef skimmers. How much space do you have for the external skimmer and where do you plan to have it plumbed? Dont want it to siphon water in case the power goes off or something so planning is important on these
hob fuge gives me about 5 inches of clearance… i know, not a lot. Right now I have a carbon reactor and my apex probes in it. I planned on either having the skimmer plumped into the fuge or right into the display. I have an entire room behind the tank for equipment/ storage.

OP
OP
L

lucas-grimm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 240 sps with out a sump?
show is your magic!!

I don’t have one but hear great thinks about life reef. They also have the best HOB overflow ( only one I would trust ) if you do want a sump for the skimmer and other goodies.

worth looking into would give you along more options with skimmers.
Ha! The tank is 7th months old on may 1st and most of my sps are 1-2 month old 1 inch frags… but encrusting well and shooting out branches! I also have a TON of rock (160lbs of caribsea rock which i believe to help eat up nitrates as i have had to dose them for a few months now. I’ve thought about doing a hob overflow for a sump, essentially eliminating the need for the hob fuge at all, but i’m honestly uneducated on the idea of it.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an internal skimmer in the display. This way it can’t overflow. I’m using a Tunze Comline 9012 skimmer on my 85 gallons tank. Fine product and it does a good job. I also use the Tunze internal filter 3168. And the Tunze 3155 osmolator ATO, lol. I have the trio !

OP
OP
L

lucas-grimm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an internal skimmer in the display. This way it can’t overflow. I’m using a Tunze Comline 9012 skimmer on my 85 gallons tank. Fine product and it does a good job. I also use the Tunze internal filter 3168. And the Tunze 3155 osmolator ATO, lol. I have the trio !
I tried the 9012! Unfortunately it was faulty brand new (leaked bubbles + would constantly fill with water and overflow because of some kind of pump error) but it was nice looking!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! The tank is 7th months old on may 1st and most of my sps are 1-2 month old 1 inch frags… but encrusting well and shooting out branches! I also have a TON of rock (160lbs of caribsea rock which i believe to help eat up nitrates as i have had to dose them for a few months now. I’ve thought about doing a hob overflow for a sump, essentially eliminating the need for the hob fuge at all, but i’m honestly uneducated on the idea of it.

it's real simple with the HOB overflow. add it to back of tank soft or hard plumb to bottom tank no need for gate valve as you return plump will dictate turn over rate.

for the return you can just go over the top I have used 1" PVC then I used really strong velco to attach it to the back of the tank. you dont want that slipping off. :)

if you decide to go that way we can walk you through the process there are alot of knowable ppl on the site.

OP
OP
L

lucas-grimm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's real simple with the HOB overflow. add it to back of tank soft or hard plumb to bottom tank no need for gate valve as you return plump will dictate turn over rate.

for the return you can just go over the top I have used 1" PVC then I used really strong velco to attach it to the back of the tank. you dont want that slipping off. :)

if you decide to go that way we can walk you through the process there are alot of knowable ppl on the site.
Long term that sounds a lot more worth it… I also want to implement a UV and possibly ozone in the future so having a sump will probably be necessary…

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long term that sounds a lot more worth it… I also want to implement a UV and possibly ozone in the future so having a sump will probably be necessary…
yeah if you want all that stuff just do the sump. even better if you can drill the tank. but that is more complected and will require move the LR and fish to holding tanks.

but the life reef HOB overflow does work nice. it's not a quite as the modern tanks with full siphion and gate vale but it's not to bad from what i remember.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back