Best Facade for Aquarium Stand?

TangLvr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a 4 foot 200 gallon tank with a simple 2x4 stand.

I am looking at what is the best material to cover the wood, and then incorporate magnetic doors. I love a modern white look, and am just trying to find the best material/mounting techniques? I don’t really want wood.

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am looking at what is the best material to cover the wood, and then incorporate magnetic doors. I love a modern white look, and am just trying to find the best material/mounting techniques? I don’t really want wood.
FYI, Make sure the stand is properly built. Wood tends to warp under that kind of stress especially wood that was not cured. (kiln dried) I have seen a few wood stands take out large tanks over time, especially cheap wet construction grade lumber. I recommend steel or better yet aluminum.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Formica Laminate over woood and it does hold up so long as its is completely covering the wood. Any area for water absorption and it delaminates …
Check out 30/30 extruded aluminum stands… It did a few, cheap and easy (relativley)

Ocean_View

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would get 3/4"Pvc board in mate white and use glue to put magnet on it be light weight and water proof. It's what i gona do for my sons wooden stand for his new build.

But as mentioned above you should confirm stand integrity before setup.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TangLvr I’m with the others on this thread. Someone else’s home built 2x4 stand would make me nervous. Definitely take @Coinzmans Reef advise and inspect the wood. Assuming that’s okay just a few thoughts. First make sure the weight is being carried to the ground through the wood and not dependent upon the nails / screws. Definitely screws not nails, and glued joints. Personally, I’m big on pocket screws. At the very least sand it down a bit and seal the frame with marine varnish or something.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
a wood frame stand gets its side to side strength from the sheathing, after its screwed on.
if you want to go with magnets, have a steel or alluminium stand welded.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back