Best Filter socks for Dinoflagellates?

Aquaman102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for recommendations of the best filter socks to use when sucking dino's out of a tank.

The 200 or 300 micron filter socks on most sites don't seem to catch the dino's when I am siphoning them out.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything with a micron rating below 50 will likely last about 24 hours and will need to be replaced.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good idea, just not very practical. You would also filter out a lot of good stuff that competes with the dinos wouldn't you?

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good idea, just not very practical. You would also filter out a lot of good stuff that competes with the dinos wouldn't you?
If you are siphoning off the sandbed that is covered with Dinos' you would be removing the higher population of them alongside any good bacteria that is also there but not as plentiful.

The majority of beneficial bacteria is going to inside your live rock and that area you cannot siphon out.

JMTcents...

Saltysocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn't exactly related but what really helped my Dino battle was UV and live phytoplankton. My fight is almost over. Of course there are many strains of dinos and they all require a different treatment. Be careful of water changes some times thats what keeps the dinos sticking around because the other algae doesn't get a chance to out compete it

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the 25 micron sock which many say is better than the 50 all recommend.

Going to do battle with Dinos Amphidiums

Attachments

• 20210729_145824.jpg
    20210729_145824.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 58

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vacuuming with the 25 micron filter. I saw a difference already. (2 hour video comparison)

When I would only turn the dinos with a rack the white sand would last 15 minutes and by one hour be full blown madness exactly before I racked it.

Now, I vacuummed the sand 2 times in one take, that is let the bucket fill up with 25 micron sock attached. Pour filtered sock water back into the UV compartment, which is 100 bypass to Display area repeat twice.

Here are the videos after 2 hours of letting my lights full blast, no change in intensity.

1st video was taken without my filters because I was in a rush to get into vacumming (I was too excited)

2nd video taken exactly 2 hours apart from the 1st video after vacuuming (filter for my camera was placed to identify the true color of the sandbed)

Conclusion, they are still very much there but not to the degree that I had on the surface before, I hit the vacuum on them. Water temp is still controlled at 82F degrees 3 days in.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn't exactly related but what really helped my Dino battle was UV and live phytoplankton. My fight is almost over. Of course there are many strains of dinos and they all require a different treatment. Be careful of water changes some times thats what keeps the dinos sticking around because the other algae doesn't get a chance to out compete it
What dinos are you fighting sounds like osteoposis if you enlisted a UV.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not so much the micron as it is the length. Longer lengths do sooooo more for sure
Can you expand, not sure I am following? I ordered the 5 micron sock from Amazon, the 25 micron did get some of them, but this morning, they are reproducing and growing again. But I am working adding bacteria, reducing photoperiod on my cheato and increasing nitrate/phosphate.

Back