Best food for (bleached) BTA's?

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four BTA's, one of which is pretty severely bleached. What food types have you had success with in restoring the 'nem's zooxanthellae? Anyone supplement with Selcon?

Keztrel99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From 11/25 to today with frozen mysis and reef roids once a week. Had to get on top of the water quality issues that got it so bad in the first place.

20200217_152227.jpg
20200217_151822.jpg

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also attempt a zooxanthellae transplant by snipping off a tentacle of one of your healthy BTAs, hide it with some food -- such as a small piece of salmon or other fleshy fish (no bigger than the size of pencil eraser, but this is more dependent on the size of your anemone) or mysis, then feeding it to the bleached BTA. The idea is to quickly introduce some new zooxanthellae.

Otherwise, you can feed it normal food, adding Selcon if you like, and wait a couple of months. Assuming the nem is otherwise healthy, the zoox population will grow on its own.

OP
OP
TriggersAmuck

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From 11/25 to today with frozen mysis and reef roids once a week. Had to get on top of the water quality issues that got it so bad in the first place.

@Keztrel99 - Do you mind elaborating on what water issues were causing yours to bleach? My one BTA was already bleached at purchase time (was an online purchase), but it has gotten worse during the ensuing time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back