Best food for corals???

DusReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using reef roids for a couple of months now and really haven't noticed much growth. Just wondering what some of y'all are using to promote growth and spread.

Hector,
As you can see by the volume and depth of replies amongst the community, coral feeding and nutrition is a complex topic for discussion with no singular solution. I agree with my salty friends' tank stability is critical for coral (LPS - SPS) growth and coloration. That being said, understanding your import and export ecosystem a bit more can help you know how much to feed when to feed, and how to best feed your corals. In my experience, the key elements are filtration (including the skimmer), lighting (duration and intensity), and water purity.

- If your skimmer is over skimming and pulling out your nutrients, chances are your corals are not getting enough food to grow.
- If your photoperiod isn't long enough (between 10-12hrs), chances are your corals are not digesting enough of the food they are catching.
- If your water is to clean (I know this sounds crazy), chances are your corals are not able to absorb enough NO3/PO4 to grow.

Having been around the reefing block for over 20 years, I've tried my share of foods of all forms and I have to agree with Trido on the use of BenePets Coral Food. I find it to be a complete reef food that benefits the entire ecosystem. Some particles are large enough for my fish to eat and others tiny enough for my corals, shrimp, and bacteria to consume without giving me a spike in PO4. I started off slow spot feeding every other day for a few weeks and now spot and broadcast feed every day with fantastic results.

My corals are more colorful, I get great polyp extension, and best of all my glass and water looks crystal clear. One thing I didn't expect but super happy about is the elevated ReDox I get. I don't know the science why but think it has something to do with the pre and pro biotics in it that help feed/balance my tank.

If you're looking for a new coral (reef) food, I strongly encourage you to give BenePets a try for 30-days. You'll see your whole reef flourish, color up and soak up more available Alk, Ca and Mg.

Good luck and happy reefing!

clicfacil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hector,
As you can see by the volume and depth of replies amongst the community, coral feeding and nutrition is a complex topic for discussion with no singular solution. I agree with my salty friends' tank stability is critical for coral (LPS - SPS) growth and coloration. That being said, understanding your import and export ecosystem a bit more can help you know how much to feed when to feed, and how to best feed your corals. In my experience, the key elements are filtration (including the skimmer), lighting (duration and intensity), and water purity.

- If your skimmer is over skimming and pulling out your nutrients, chances are your corals are not getting enough food to grow.
- If your photoperiod isn't long enough (between 10-12hrs), chances are your corals are not digesting enough of the food they are catching.
- If your water is to clean (I know this sounds crazy), chances are your corals are not able to absorb enough NO3/PO4 to grow.

Having been around the reefing block for over 20 years, I've tried my share of foods of all forms and I have to agree with Trido on the use of BenePets Coral Food. I find it to be a complete reef food that benefits the entire ecosystem. Some particles are large enough for my fish to eat and others tiny enough for my corals, shrimp, and bacteria to consume without giving me a spike in PO4. I started off slow spot feeding every other day for a few weeks and now spot and broadcast feed every day with fantastic results.

My corals are more colorful, I get great polyp extension, and best of all my glass and water looks crystal clear. One thing I didn't expect but super happy about is the elevated ReDox I get. I don't know the science why but think it has something to do with the pre and pro biotics in it that help feed/balance my tank.

If you're looking for a new coral (reef) food, I strongly encourage you to give BenePets a try for 30-days. You'll see your whole reef flourish, color up and soak up more available Alk, Ca and Mg.

Excellent answer

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hector,

Very well-said.

Brucemull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey
Oddly I've been doing the same scenario,but learned it my self! Growth is good things are healthy can't complain. Patience is a virtue an coral is like kids...treat them right they'll turn out great! Thanks for posting your findings
I 100% believe in feeding as follows. I made this feeding schedule myself, and have seen my growth rates triple. Not saying it’s perfect or fool proof, it just works well for me. Be forewarned, this does require a lot of dedication and a good CUC. I recommend a mix of turbo, astrea, stomatella snails along with at least 1 larger shrimp per 20 gallons (fire, peppermint, skunk, etc). This is also assuming that the corals are happy with their lighting, flow, and water perams. This will not help a coral suffering from a bad environment, but I have used it to save a lot of abused corals that needed that extra bit of TLC.

GENERAL MIXED REEF
Going a little bit overboard when feeding is crucial. You can only do this if your tanks is COMPLETELY cycled and mature, if it’s not, then you will experience one of the worst algae blooms you’ve ever seen. For this purpose, I use LRS reef frenzy foods, but any variety of frozen food should be just fine.
Fish are a big part of this, and shrimps are a must. The fish eat the ‘getaway’ particles and the shrimp eat the stuff that falls to the bottom of the tank. Without a good CUC, algae blooms will happen and the leftover food will fuel bad critters such as bristleworms Rub the cube/frozen piece in your tank until it begins to melt and great apart, at this point, remove it from the tank and place it in your palm/paper plate/easily cleanable surface. Here, pick apart the frozen food and isolate larger chunks such as scallops, shrimps, etc. Pour the remaining smaller bits into the tank with the flow on, close to the powerheads or pumps so the particles swirl around the tank. Your fish should’ve eaten and gotten full during this step, if they have not, then feed more. Hungry fish steal food from corals which is traumatic to them. As a general rule, with corals that have a clear mouth (anemones, fungia, etc) try to feed foods that are half the size of the mouth at maximum. These corals are able to physically choke to death on foods that are too large, so please take caution!

LPS/ANEMONE/EUPHYLLIA
Remember those larger chunks you isolated? Grab those back. Using your fingers or a pair of tongs (I prefer fingers because the food is less likely to get stuck) stick the food directly into the coral.
For LPS, it’s crucial to wait until feeder tentacles are extended then feed directly, if these tentacles are not extended then the coral cannot eat and the food will be wasted. This is why it’s important to allow the small particles to circulate before attempting this, the ‘smell’ of food in the water activates the feeding response. I suggest smaller, squishy things such as half mysis shrimp for LPS like acans, Favia, Blastos, and trumpet/candy canes. This method also works well for rhodactis mushrooms, please use only in low/no flow so the shroom has time to eat.
For anemones and elegance coral you’re going to want those firmer chunks such as bits of scallop. Give these directly to the tentacles of the coral, they will feed themselves. Be very careful when feeding because the tentacles are very sticky and if care is not taken, they can be ripped off and cause damage. Personally, I feed BTA anemones every day, they split and bubble better when very well fed.
For all other euphyllia (hammers, torch, frogspawn, etc) the technique differs by location in the tank. Since these are not as sticky as an anemone/elegance, they need time to eat the food properly. If the current/flow is too strong, then the food may be blown away before it has a chance to eat it. Feed softer chunks, not as soft as the LPS but not as firm as the anemones, kind of in the middle. The euphyllia will swallow these in 5 minutes or less, remove uneaten food or turn the flow back on to remove it.

SPS
I use reefroids for this purpose, about 2x weekly. They are also getting food from photosynthesis and the ‘particle’ step so please adjust as needed. Locate a 10 cc syringe without a needle, you can get these on amazon cheaply. You only need one, as they can be reused. Get yourself a container, solo cups, Tupperware, pee cups, if it holds water, it works. My recipe for a 20 gallon tank is 40 ccs of water (4 syringe fulls) mixed with a pinch of reefroids, enough to tint my water an orangeish/peachy color. Stir vigorously until incorporated then immediately suck up in the syringe. Turning off your pumps is very important here so please do that. Target feed SPS gently, hold the syringe about 2 inches away from the coral and push the plunger slowly, if looking from the side of the tank, you will see a cloud surround the coral. They only need a light coating, almost a dusting. The coral should not retract any polyps or show signs of distress, if it does, then you pushed the plunger too hard and triggered a defense response. Gentle. Leave the pumps off for
10 minutes to allow the coral time to eat.

ZOAS/PALYS/GSP/CLOVE/DAISY/GLOVE/GONIOPORA/ALVEOPORA/TOADSTOOL
Use mixing instructions above for mixing reefroids. Again, pumps are turned off. Use your syringe to broadcast feed these. Hold the syringe about 6-8 inches above the zoas and push with a little bit of force towards the zoas. They should not close or show signs of distress. Allow 10-13 minutes for the reefroids to sink into the zoas. Target feeding zoas is difficult and more often than not, leads to a defense response and the reefroids only added nutrients to your tank without providing much benefit. VERY IMPORTANT! Please remove all hermit crabs from the immediate area, they will crawl all over your coral eating the reefroids and stress them out.

SCOLY
Scolies are different and very special, they require specialized care that dedicated reefers may provide. The best time to feed is at night, however if you notice feeding tentacles extended during any part of the above steps then please feed it! I feed my scoly anywhere from 1-3x a week, and I do see a difference! Scolies enjoy larger foods, much like the anemones. Using your finger is the best method here because of their extremely sticky tentacles. Simply introduce the food to the tentacles without touching them yourself, the barest contact is enough for the coral to grab ahold of the food and begin moving it towards the oral disk. Please don’t try to force feed a scoly EVER, this is very traumatic to it, like if you were sleeping and someone tried to cram a hotdog in your mouth. The stomach will extend if the coral is given a substantial amount of food so do not panic! It’s okay.

I think this is it! The ultimate guide. If there’s a coral I missed, please let me know! I have one of just about everything so please don’t hesitate to leave a comment and I will post my feeding regime for that as well! Cheers!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back