Best ICP analysis options in the US?

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious on the best options for ICP analysis in the states? I have seen some that ship overseas, and I am a little hesitant on those. But if one of those EU options is truly the best, then I will roll with it.

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious on the best options for ICP analysis in the states? I have seen some that ship overseas, and I am a little hesitant on those. But if one of those EU options is truly the best, then I will roll with it.

What makes you hesitant?

For what it is worth one doesn't need an ICP test. Could always pocket the money and let the display and your tests guide you.

OP
OP
HBtank

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What makes you hesitant?

For what it is worth one doesn't need an ICP test. Could always pocket the money and let the display and your tests guide you.
Because I routinely perform water testing and I have not encountered an analysis that doesn’t have a hold time or preservation requirement. I understand this is hobby grade testing and that isn’t really feasible, but the lab being closer can’t hurt in that context.

Need is debatable. But in my case I am curious about the marine pure blocks I have in the sump and if I have elevated aluminum.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I routinely perform water testing and I have not encountered an analysis that doesn’t have a hold time or preservation requirement. I understand this is hobby grade testing and that isn’t really feasible, but the lab being closer can’t hurt in that context.

Need is debatable. But in my case I am curious about the marine pure blocks I have in the sump and if I have elevated aluminum.

It is a hobby grade solution but also not all are created equal. There is a thread here somewhere with testing done that may give you some more information for what you are looking for. There is also a another one dating back to 2015 if I recall by Richard Ross that is also very well done.

I think Triton does testing in the US so maybe start there. I've only used Oceanmo and ATI both of which are over seas but not something I use frequently.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Triton typically gets the results back very quickly. Since you're in HB they would get the sample at their LA office the next day and often have the results back to you the day after that. So if you were to drop the sample off at the post office today, you could get results as soon as this Thursday.

OP
OP
HBtank

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton typically gets the results back very quickly. Since you're in HB they would get the sample at their LA office the next day and often have the results back to you the day after that. So if you were to drop the sample off at the post office today, you could get results as soon as this Thursday.
I had seen them and was going to check where the lab was, but figured I would see what R2R had to say first.

Much appreciated!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad those two comments line up with what I found. I've ordered 2 ATI kits, I also read on a review to try and get it shipped out where it arrives in California on a Monday because they ship out to Germany on Tuesday's, and this can help for the fastest turn around time, does anyone have any insight on that aspect? Thanks for the information, and suggestions.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "run from ICP-Analysis" thing seems to date back to several years ago when their testing was, umm, questionable.

They revamped their testing methodology about a year ago, and I've done a couple side-by-side comparisons with ATI results since then. All have lined up well, and ICP-Analysis is in the States, and cheaper. So, I mean... It's your money. Do what you want to do.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "run from ICP-Analysis" thing seems to date back to several years ago when their testing was, umm, questionable.

They revamped their testing methodology about a year ago, and I've done a couple side-by-side comparisons with ATI results since then. All have lined up well, and ICP-Analysis is in the States, and cheaper. So, I mean... It's your money. Do what you want to do.
I've seen that also and a good point, I will look into this further next round, but this is honestly the first one I've ever tried so I am going only off reviews. Thank you for this information tho I will definitely consider it next round.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Negative. It also from recent results posted in this forum.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it? You think MACNA ran tests for accuracy before accepting sponsorship money?
I dont know for sure, but worth looking into I can only see for myself and go off informationfrom others, I wasn't even aware of the company until it was mentioned, also why I went with ATI. I didnt want to tell anyone they are wrong on something i have no experience with. I've never icp tested in 20years. I'm only doing it because all the hype has me scared lol I just want to try it and get both my systems checked bi-annually to see if maybe it helps me. I don't really care about the company only the results..

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back