Best investment with testing kits

Marine Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch bulkreefsupplys Video on cycling and you will learn everything you need to know. Their on youtube and the channel is bulk reef supply
Hey all

Looking to start aquascaping/cycling in the next month or so. Before then, need to decide on how to best test our water.

What is your preferred testing method? Hanna checkers? Test kits (if so, which ones)? Which parameters can I wait to check (pretty sure I dont need to check calcium until I have corals, correct?) If i can wait to buy certain tests then i can focus on other things.

Thank you

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crude concentrated HCl like that is not the best way to go to make a standard because the concentration is not well controlled.

That said, if you accept that it is literally what it says (36-37% HCl), then here's how to do it:

36% HCl has a concentration of 11.634 M according to wikipedia.

If you dilute 10 mL (or 11.8 grams) into 1,153 mL of RO/DI water, you will get 0.1 N for a titration.
Thanks Randy. I can get a bit of 0.1N anyway so I can compare my DIY solution with the proper stuff. Gives me a great starting point. So I can make over 250 Ltrs of it, should last me a while.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back