Best LED Light Bar

aquarist.lindsey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to put an LED bar light across my 55 gallon, it currently only has a 36” fluval sea marine light and it’s not near enough. I haven’t heard great things about the fluval reef lights and there are so many mixed reviews when it comes to USA orbit marine online. So, what’s the best led light bar for my tank and corals (I only plan to keep soft corals)? Thanks!

Also, I would prefer to not hang anything!

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside of head-to-head data, when you ask a question about "best" you're probably going to get a lot of differing opinions. I just yesterday responded to a thread about the "best" HOB skimmer. I offered an opinion, and it was just that, an opinion. I had no data nor have I used some of the other skimmer brands suggested.

Saying all that, I just watched the latest BRS vid on Ryan's 360 system, and he is going with the ReefBrite strips on that monster setup (along with Kessils). Won't pretend to know what he's thinking outside of what has been said on the videos, but he's been very transparent about the whole thing, and this is a guy who has time and time again touted the benefits of T5's for almost any system.

At the end of the vid, Randy said that he's working on a video for those strips, and teased that they are some of the best numbers they've ever gotten.

Full disclosure, I have something completely different on my tank and I know no better, but if that video is coming out soon, you might want to wait and let data drive your decision.

OP
OP
aquarist.lindsey

aquarist.lindsey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside of head-to-head data, when you ask a question about "best" you're probably going to get a lot of differing opinions. I just yesterday responded to a thread about the "best" HOB skimmer. I offered an opinion, and it was just that, an opinion. I had no data nor have I used some of the other skimmer brands suggested.

Saying all that, I just watched the latest BRS vid on Ryan's 360 system, and he is going with the ReefBrite strips on that monster setup (along with Kessils). Won't pretend to know what he's thinking outside of what has been said on the videos, but he's been very transparent about the whole thing, and this is a guy who has time and time again touted the benefits of T5's for almost any system.

At the end of the vid, Randy said that he's working on a video for those strips, and teased that they are some of the best numbers they've ever gotten.

Full disclosure, I have something completely different on my tank and I know no better, but if that video is coming out soon, you might want to wait and let data drive your decision.

You’re right, fair point. I will definitely look out for that video, I’m not in a big rush.. I would like to figure out what is best before spending that kind of money! If you don’t mind me asking, what kind of lighting system do you have on your tank?

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok so there is this new light bar hitting the market. It's called the nicobar from Reef delight. It his around 175 par to the sand bed on its own! Comes in three variations. Blue, UV and white.

I'm using the blue version Pops at 460nm. The cool thing is that it's fully expandable. You can Daisy chain them together and can be controlled from a single bar.

Fully wifi my friend.

Any questions feel free to ask. I've got a guy that gets a good hookup w them.

OP
OP
aquarist.lindsey

aquarist.lindsey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so there is this new light bar hitting the market. It's called the nicobar from Reef delight. It his around 175 par to the sand bed on its own! Comes in three variations. Blue, UV and white.

I'm using the blue version Pops at 460nm. The cool thing is that it's fully expandable. You can Daisy chain them together and can be controlled from a single bar.

Fully wifi my friend.

Any questions feel free to ask. I've got a guy that gets a good hookup w them.

That sounds like a dream light for me haha! Is there a website or anything where I can read up on them? Thanks for replying!

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So admittedly, I run a not so popular lighting system, at least not in the US. I use AquaRay TMC lights, it's a company in the UK. I have a thread if you're interested (it isn't very popular either, lol): https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aquaray-lighting-thread.718536/#post-7817320

I chose these lights five years ago for a number of reasons. One big one is that they are sealed and have no moving parts. Funny I mentioned an HOB skimmer, but these lights take a beating under the canopy due to the spray that sometimes comes from the skimmer return. One other reason is that these lights are the kind where yeah, you can't adjust the spectrum but yeah, at the same time you can't screw up the spectrum. I'll admit that I was also lured by the data on these lights and their PUR rating (which has since been somewhat dismissed as being useful). Also, these lights come with a no questions asked 5 year warranty.

I just eclipsed that warranty (meaning I've had them 5 years now) and just added an additional bar (strip) to the two tiles (see the thread I just linked), but I've had pretty good success with them so far. They are reasonably priced compared to some of the more popular options, they just aren't popular at all on this side of the pond, so there isn't much info sharing that goes on, but then again, because they are "set it and forget it" kinds of lights, there doesn't really need to be.

OP
OP
aquarist.lindsey

aquarist.lindsey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So admittedly, I run a not so popular lighting system, at least not in the US. I use AquaRay TMC lights, it's a company in the UK. I have a thread if you're interested (it isn't very popular either, lol): https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aquaray-lighting-thread.718536/#post-7817320

I chose these lights five years ago for a number of reasons. One big one is that they are sealed and have no moving parts. Funny I mentioned an HOB skimmer, but these lights take a beating under the canopy due to the spray that sometimes comes from the skimmer return. One other reason is that these lights are the kind where yeah, you can't adjust the spectrum but yeah, at the same time you can't screw up the spectrum. I'll admit that I was also lured by the data on these lights and their PUR rating (which has since been somewhat dismissed as being useful). Also, these lights come with a no questions asked 5 year warranty.

I just eclipsed that warranty (meaning I've had them 5 years now) and just added an additional bar (strip) to the two tiles (see the thread I just linked), but I've had pretty good success with them so far. They are reasonably priced compared to some of the more popular options, they just aren't popular at all on this side of the pond, so there isn't much info sharing that goes on, but then again, because they are "set it and forget it" kinds of lights, there doesn't really need to be.
Wow okay, thanks! I’m going to read that thread now!

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I consider the best light "bars" out there were made by buildmyled. They were like using T5s. Unfortunately the lighting for the pot growing business was just to profitable so they dropped their aquarium line.

As for the others, I don't think you can go wrong with reefbrite, reefbreeders or orphek.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1- Orphek
2- ReefBrite
3- S-Bar by SB Reef if you can ever reach these guys

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my limited experience and only having used one light bar (for only the past two months at that) I'll say that I really like my ReefBrite XHO. I have it attached to a ATI Sunpower 24". In the evening I run the Reefbrite alone at 100% and the color pop is really good, much better than I was able to achieve with the LED fixture I was running previously.

Homebrewer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the lights are just an on and off type? Is there a dimmer or way to gradually turn them on or off?
Each unit comes with a power supply unit (PSU) that can in turn be hooked up to a simple timer. If you go that route you are 100% on, 100% off.

The lights have a unique wire that ends with a male USB at the end. The PSU goes from plug->converter brick->female USB. In other words you can't plug the light directly into the wall. You must use the PSU that comes with the light, unless you buy a controller.

About 2.5 years into the lights, one of my PSUs died. The lights are warrantied for 5 years but the PSUs only for 2, so I needed to get a new one. Not that expensive, like $29 or so, but I found the controller for around $200. Thing about the controller is that it has 8 channels (each tile uses two (white and blue), the bar uses one), AND it functions as the power supply unit. So I bit the bullet and got the controller. It can sunrise, sunset, simulate clouds, moon, and it also has a pretty cool lightning storm function. It's fun to show that off to friends and relatives, and I've heard of people using it during water changes (which is an interesting idea).

So the controller can power and control 4 tiles or 8 strips or a combination thereof. It also has a temperature probe that I have hidden in the corner of my display, and it connects via WiFi. Not the highest tech page for programming, but simple and easy to use. The controller also comes with a light sensor, NOT a PAR meter, but a sensor that you can hook up and read as a percentage. So you calibrate it right above the water surface at 100%, then you can drop it into various spots in your tank and get a read of light penetration as a percentage compared to the 100% at the surface. Another nice feature.

Bottom line is that I'm about $600 in on lights, and about $200 in on the controller over the five years that I've had them. Not the cheapest option, but not the most expensive either. Cost to own per year over 5 years is therefore $160/year (not counting power of course), and will decrease the longer I have them. Not trying to talk you in or out of them, just sharing my experience with them.

OP
OP
aquarist.lindsey

aquarist.lindsey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each unit comes with a power supply unit (PSU) that can in turn be hooked up to a simple timer. If you go that route you are 100% on, 100% off.

The lights have a unique wire that ends with a male USB at the end. The PSU goes from plug->converter brick->female USB. In other words you can't plug the light directly into the wall. You must use the PSU that comes with the light, unless you buy a controller.

About 2.5 years into the lights, one of my PSUs died. The lights are warrantied for 5 years but the PSUs only for 2, so I needed to get a new one. Not that expensive, like $29 or so, but I found the controller for around $200. Thing about the controller is that it has 8 channels (each tile uses two (white and blue), the bar uses one), AND it functions as the power supply unit. So I bit the bullet and got the controller. It can sunrise, sunset, simulate clouds, moon, and it also has a pretty cool lightning storm function. It's fun to show that off to friends and relatives, and I've heard of people using it during water changes (which is an interesting idea).

So the controller can power and control 4 tiles or 8 strips or a combination thereof. It also has a temperature probe that I have hidden in the corner of my display, and it connects via WiFi. Not the highest tech page for programming, but simple and easy to use. The controller also comes with a light sensor, NOT a PAR meter, but a sensor that you can hook up and read as a percentage. So you calibrate it right above the water surface at 100%, then you can drop it into various spots in your tank and get a read of light penetration as a percentage compared to the 100% at the surface. Another nice feature.

Bottom line is that I'm about $600 in on lights, and about $200 in on the controller over the five years that I've had them. Not the cheapest option, but not the most expensive either. Cost to own per year over 5 years is therefore $160/year (not counting power of course), and will decrease the longer I have them. Not trying to talk you in or out of them, just sharing my experience with them.

Thank you so much for all of that! I will definitely take this into account!

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1- Orphek
2- ReefBrite
3- S-Bar by SB Reef if you can ever reach these guys

I just ordered the 72 actinic. Keeping my finger crossed it will arrive in the 5-7 days like they say :D . Plus they are running Cree led‘s and the 72 puts out 162 according to their site. We shall see I guess.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back