Best LFS in California!

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a slightly biased thread, but its to help me out with the near future.. I am headed down to CA and want to scope out some fun LFS to visit and check out. I will be in Northern CA, but will have the means to travel to any of them within reasonable distance if they are worth it!

Would be a fun series to add to my channel, and getting a chance to see all kinds of different LFS will for sure be an experience. Have a feeling CA is going to for sure be a state that has all kinds of shops to check out! Hopefully in my area some good ones as well.

Lets hear about your CALIFORNIA shop/LFS experiences! I want to hear them all!

California GIF

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seaside tropical fish. Been to many places in and out of state but this place is truly the best. Not many times do you have a place with extremely healthy parasite free powder blues along with leopard and pencil wrasses that are eating frozens within 10 mins of getting home. Amazing prices too.

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seaside tropical fish. Been to many places in and out of state but this place is truly the best. Not many times do you have a place with extremely healthy parasite free powder blues along with leopard and pencil wrasses that are eating frozens within 10 mins of getting home. Amazing prices too.
Seven seas in San Pedro is awesome also

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part of CA is this store located? Thanks for chiming in!

Kynzo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a slightly biased thread, but its to help me out with the near future.. I am headed down to CA and want to scope out some fun LFS to visit and check out. I will be in Northern CA, but will have the means to travel to any of them within reasonable distance if they are worth it!

Would be a fun series to add to my channel, and getting a chance to see all kinds of different LFS will for sure be an experience. Have a feeling CA is going to for sure be a state that has all kinds of shops to check out! Hopefully in my area some good ones as well.

California GIF
Personally I've been disappointed with the stores in the northern California area other than 2 "aquatic collection" and "neptune aquatics". Most LFS have a smaller saltwater selection and very few corals. I haven't been yet but there's cali kid in Concord, they opened a few months back. There's also "your reef" in Roseville which I haven't checked out, and a few in San Jose since it's a bit of a drive for me. Maybe someone from SJ can chime in. I've heard of 360 coralz, violet aquarium, and legendary corals but idk if they have a storefront.

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

California GIF
Check out LAX Aquarium. It’s close to… well LAX. I feel blessed to live close enough to visit at least once a week.

jambi0n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Collection (Hayward) - Nice selection of SWF and Corals. Pricing is good, staff is very knowledgeable and tanks are maintained. I have picked up both dry goods and livestock here.

California Reef (Newark) - Smaller shop with a great selection of corals and a nice selection of designer SWF. Prices are average as well. The gentleman who helped me answered all my questions regarding a pair of Blackstorm Clownfish I purchased.

Neptune Aquatics (San Jose) - Really nice store with amazing display tanks filled with both SWF and FWF. Prices are a bit on the higher end, but an amazing collection of corals and stocked with almost every dry good you can think of. Staff is very friendly.

Violet Aquarium (San Jose/Santa Clara) - Nice selection of coral in their back area, but minimal fish selection in the front (at least the day I went to check it out). The gentleman there the day I visited said hello one time and remained behind the register.

All About Fish (Pleasant Hill) - Nice large location with a great selection of SWF. Coral selection was good too. Staff is great and will answer any questions you have regarding your tank.

SJReef (Dublin) - Smaller shop with a average selection of corals and minimal selection of SWF. Only four tanks for SWF.

Exotic Aquarium (Sacramento) - One of the shops I frequented when I lived in Sacramento. Nice shop but with a great selection of SWF. A bit on the smaller side in regards to coral selection. Great pricing!

Splash (Sacramento) - Nice shop with very friendly staff. Selection of corals is great as well as SWF. Fair pricing at this location

Your Reef (Roseville) - Amazing selection of coral at great pricing. Cheaper than ordering from their website. Selection of SWF at the time I went was minimal, but a great spot to get corals. The gentleman there answered all my questions regarding flow and lighting for a piece I purchased.

Aquarium & Reptile Depot (Carmichael) - Literally across the overpass from Your Reef with a great selection of SWF. One of the LFS I drive an hour to and frequent often. Staff is great and gets very busy on the weekends. The owners there are great and one of the LFS I drive an hour to and frequent often. Will help with any questions you have about your tank.

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Collection (Hayward) - Nice selection of SWF and Corals. Pricing is good, staff is very knowledgeable and tanks are maintained. I have picked up both dry goods and livestock here.

California Reef (Newark) - Smaller shop with a great selection of corals and a nice selection of designer SWF. Prices are average as well. The gentleman who helped me answered all my questions regarding a pair of Blackstorm Clownfish I purchased.

Neptune Aquatics (San Jose) - Really nice store with amazing display tanks filled with both SWF and FWF. Prices are a bit on the higher end, but an amazing collection of corals and stocked with almost every dry good you can think of. Staff is very friendly.

Violet Aquarium (San Jose/Santa Clara) - Nice selection of coral in their back area, but minimal fish selection in the front (at least the day I went to check it out). The gentleman there the day I visited said hello one time and remained behind the register.

All About Fish (Pleasant Hill) - Nice large location with a great selection of SWF. Coral selection was good too. Staff is great and will answer any questions you have regarding your tank.

SJReef (Dublin) - Smaller shop with a average selection of corals and minimal selection of SWF. Only four tanks for SWF.

Exotic Aquarium (Sacramento) - One of the shops I frequented when I lived in Sacramento. Nice shop but with a great selection of SWF. A bit on the smaller side in regards to coral selection. Great pricing!

Splash (Sacramento) - Nice shop with very friendly staff. Selection of corals is great as well as SWF. Fair pricing at this location

Your Reef (Roseville) - Amazing selection of coral at great pricing. Cheaper than ordering from their website. Selection of SWF at the time I went was minimal, but a great spot to get corals. The gentleman there answered all my questions regarding flow and lighting for a piece I purchased.

Aquarium & Reptile Depot (Carmichael) - Literally across the overpass from Your Reef with a great selection of SWF. One of the LFS I drive an hour to and frequent often. Staff is great and gets very busy on the weekends. The owners there are great and one of the LFS I drive an hour to and frequent often. Will help with any questions you have about your tank.
Be moving within striking distance of Sacramento! Thanks for this write up, got tons for me to check out!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The above posts got this right.
Northern CA has Paradise
Southern CA is truly coral heaven (Although the reef food with that name comes from Hawaii).

200.gif

NanoReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would vote for Neptune Aquatics in San Jose. It is my favorite store in California, and they have an amazing display room and so many frag tanks. They even have a "How much do you want it tank?" with tons of rare shrooms.

NanoReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to see Neptune Aquatics, Kessil and Neptune Systems have videos filmed at the store.

jambi0n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be moving within striking distance of Sacramento! Thanks for this write up, got tons for me to check out!
My pleasure. While getting back into the hobby a few months ago, I did a lot of visiting of LFS in the valley area as well as the bay area. But enjoy and let me know if you find any other shops not listed. I’m always interested in visiting new ones.

socal562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

California GIF
Check out LAX AQUARIUM!!

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back