Best LFS in DFW for Fish

Spiffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a thread just like this a year and a half ago when I just moved to DFW. I've been to practically every LFS in the area and there is not a 'good one'. Some that you mention like Franks are clean and well cared for, so that's good, but no selection. I'm back in Omaha visiting this week and went back to two of the three LFS here...as far away from the ocean in the US as you can get. The fish and coral are healthy, selection is large and as an example...pintail wrasse pair for $180. You have to pay double or more than that on the internet. My biggest complaint, and why I can never buy corals from 99% of the LFS in DFW is their tanks have valonia and aptasia in them. For you new guys, you can NEVER get rid of this once in your tank. You may be able to control it some but never rid yourself of it. Do you really want to buy coral from an LFS in DFW and inoculate your tank with these annoying pests? Not me!
There is a real opportunity for some one to take over one of these stores and change the expectation for cleanliness, health and price and blow away all of the competition. If either of the Omaha stores were located here, it's the ONLY place people would shop in DFW.

What really kills me is there are these types of threads about DFW all the time and NO LFS's respond...that alone should tell you something.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, for such a large metroplex our selection is pitiful. I love Frank's, I've known him for 15+ years now but you're right about the selection.

Sithicus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had really good luck with Aquatic Design in Plano off 75. They only have 1 frag tank but it’s pretty decent in size. Their saltwater fish are (most of the time) in really good health. I’ve been through Cyano a few times in my tank and just recently beat a Dino outbreak. I’m not worried about aiptasia since I fine-tooth comb all my coral frags during acclimation along with a coral dip. Not to mention I have a pair of aiptasia-eating file fish in my tank that have eaten the couple of growths in my tank over the last year. So if you are diligent in your tank husbandry, then on the rare occasion you might get undesirables from Aquatic Design it’s nothing more than a hiccup.

Franco1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
am very new to this and have only been to 3 stores in the Dallas area and they all seamed like really nice facilities and set ups. I would highly recommend Saltwater Paradise in irving, hidden beside a taco casa and behind a big wall section of 183 this place is a family owned business that has been around for a long time. There is Exotic Aquatics in plano for those up north they were really helpful in picking things up for newbies. Had a good selection of corals. And if you can make it to fish galleryn it has moved to a new building in addison and they got me hooked into buying a set up just walking in and seeing the really nice setup of the store. Hope it helps

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back