Best light for 40 gallon breeder

Khoi_La

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, im planning to upgrade my tank from a 20 gallon to a 40 breeder soon and i was wondering what would be the best lighting options for it, since im planning to keep bta and carpet anemone in the future. At the momment, i already have an ai hd prime 16hd. I was thinking have 2 of those. Would that be enough for a carpet anemone? Or should i go with some other light options? Thank you in advance!

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA require a fair bit of light, but will move to find what they like which is good. From the testing I watched on BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) I think two AI Prime 16 HD lights would work over a 40G breeder. If you need that higher par, especially for SPS they said three, but I don't think BTA will need that, and we know they can move.

OP
OP
Khoi_La

Khoi_La

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA require a fair bit of light, but will move to find what they like which is good. From the testing I watched on BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) I think two AI Prime 16 HD lights would work over a 40G breeder. If you need that higher par, especially for SPS they said three, but I don't think BTA will need that, and we know they can move.
Do you think i should go for the black box instead? Since i find some that is alot cheaper than another 16hd and stil generate more par.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a link to the BRS AI Prime HD video. It addresses the 40 breeder.

As far as the black boxes go, I use them on my 125, and they give me great coverage and coloration.
Hope this helps.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think i should go for the black box instead? Since i find some that is alot cheaper than another 16hd and stil generate more par.

I would encourage you to go over to the lighting forum and ask this question. I know that the HD prime will do the job, not sure about the quality of the LED's, and spectral output of a black box. I cannot see why the black box would not work.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back