Best lighting for shark eyes

JustPoprocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a pond with three rays and a bamboo cat shark. The guy who I got the livestock from mentioned something about certain colored lights being harsh on their eyes. Currently I have a 160we pointed at the ceiling to give the room light. I noticed last night that if I turn off all the lights in the house he comes out and is very active. I know they are nocturnal.
Is there a way to add light to the room? Is the LED bad for them?

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean any light will be bad if you just blast them. I’d say your fine and if it really is killing you, you could dim the lights. They could be trying to sell you lights which IMO is kinda scummy. They are nocturnal and during the day hide in rock crevices and overhangs. Just keep doing what you’ll be fine.

OP
OP
JustPoprocks

JustPoprocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah not blasting at all, they are turned as dim as possible and blue as possible. I just would like to get all three rays and the shark on the same feeding schedule to help reduce pollutants in the water

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dantimdad cane give you in-depth knowledge on light and such. He has a ton of experience with sharks.

for my bamboo, I have 2 current lights I was given as they don’t grow corals well. I light the tank with those and have them on a normal schedule. Mostly white light but high above the tank. It does the macro in the tank just fine and the palys I added in for some color. They are fed about 8pm (20 minutes after lights out) and then at 5am when I wake up. Works great for nothing getting wasted.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a pond with three rays and a bamboo cat shark. The guy who I got the livestock from mentioned something about certain colored lights being harsh on their eyes. Currently I have a 160we pointed at the ceiling to give the room light. I noticed last night that if I turn off all the lights in the house he comes out and is very active. I know they are nocturnal.
Is there a way to add light to the room? Is the LED bad for them?

You saw how we had him lit. He came out a bunch when hungry. But if you want nocturnal viewing go with red lights. Turn the light over and put it about 5 feet above the water for daytime viewing.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
JustPoprocks

JustPoprocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a shark and 3 rays, shark just isn’t the most active during the day. Currently I wake up around 2am to feed him and want to get him on a better schedule with maybe a light that wouldn’t be as harsh. Someone once told me that white light isn’t good for their eyes so I have a Kessil point directly at the ceiling to just give the room some light

Krj-2501

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - with benthic sharks, it's good to limit the amount of white light in the tank/pond. Or at least give them a place to hide when the white light is on. Blue actinic lights are better daytime lights for benthic sharks, as these lights are not as bright to the shark's eyes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back