Best lighting recommendations

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look at a lot of the reviews it says it was such a harsh light. People’s coral bleached and others shrank up I was really liking this until I read the reviews a lot of good ones but if you look at the not so good a lot of people agree on the same thing.
From my research, those reviews are likely the result of people not properly acclimating the coral to the light or using too much of the light. Plenty on here have Viparspectra with success.

The key is starting at low percentages (like 10% blue and 1% white) (don’t quote me on this as I have limited LED experience) but I believe BRS has a few videos on the blackboxes.

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked at the best rated light this is the best rated by far. I’m hoping it’s good and I will also invest in the seneye reef monitor that has a par meter.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked at the best rated light this is the best rated by far. I’m hoping it’s good and I will also invest in the seneye reef monitor that has a par meter.

I've never owned those lights but everything that I have read about them is that they are not powerful enough to grow SPS and possibly not even LPS corals. I have viparspectra lights on my tank and for the price I really like them. They don't have any of the features of the expensive lights but they're cheap and put out a lot of light.

If I were you and didn't want a Blackbox led then I would look into the ai 16 or kessil a160. With either you could start with 1 and then add another in the future if you decided one wasn't enough. You can often find them used if you want to save a little money.

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just updating you guys I ended up going with the orbit USA current marine light Bluetooth and it has been growing my corals great I have both LPS and soft corals plus a BTA and a RFA

machome79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same light. may i ask what you have your settings at and how many hours of light?

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same light. may i ask what you have your settings at and how many hours of light?
I have it set for sunrise at 7:30 am my time and sunset 6:30 pm my time as well as 1 hour of moon light daylight is set at 100% blue 15% green and 25% red and 0% white it’s been great so far and i Mohave been growing sps lps even rock anemones and BTA it’s great

Back