Best lighting type for anemones?

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering doing a tank of different anemone species, mainly bta of various colors and strains. May also look into carpet anemones or even a magnifica (after much more research into the species)

I'm not too concerned whether it stays bubbly or not as that is a moot argument, I'm more interested in having them grow large and full instead of splitting. I know many people keep them under all the various lighting options out there but in my experience, with led's they seem to be more apt to split rather than keep growing

Sharkbate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nem heavy Tank and my bubble tips stay big occasionally splitting . It's only a Nano also I run a Maxspect Razr Nano and it works a treat . I have a magnifica which is home to my pair of clowns although she keeps it to herself mainly and the poor little fella has the others. Also in their is a mini maxi . No other fish just the usual hermits and [emoji222]. Oh and not forgetting my porcelain crab who hangs out in whichever one takes his fancy .
f4492161f17cf6b75e7c1a9efe2805e4.jpg

Bonfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my RBTA's under 250watt 14k Phoenix bulbs, Radion LED, and T5 Radion hybrid. This has been over about a ten year period and the anemones had bubble tips and split in all cases. The bubbles tips in my case are more prominent when my phosphates are below .07ppm.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can manage heat and are okay with the extra power, go with Halides. Radiums are great although you won't go wrong with Hamilton either.
Yeah, that's the best combo for anemones. Don't forget the chiller!
Grandis.

Oceanavekid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nem heavy Tank and my bubble tips stay big occasionally splitting . It's only a Nano also I run a Maxspect Razr Nano and it works a treat . I have a magnifica which is home to my pair of clowns although she keeps it to herself mainly and the poor little fella has the others. Also in their is a mini maxi . No other fish just the usual hermits and [emoji222]. Oh and not forgetting my porcelain crab who hangs out in whichever one takes his fancy .

The anemone doesn't eat your fish? Once I get my tank set up that's definitely high on my want list

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to change my tank over to a BTA tank. I'm currently running a kessil a360, but I'm considering getting a T5 fixture. Did you ever settle on a light?

Sharkbate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a maxspect Razr Nano fitting over my Nem tank ... good spectrum and profile and seems to work a treat ..... good luck with yours ....choices, choices :)

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say any of the new lighting like the ap700 will work for sure. Everything just grows better and faster under halides,(opinion of course)

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah... the title of the thread asked for the BEST light...

Metal halides is the best lights for anemones.
And corals too... of course...

Grandis.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a 4" bta in my office tank under Gen4 Radions. In the course of 8 weeks it had split 3 times. Craziest thing I have ever seen one do! Might be the tank, might be the light settings. I would go with the 250 Radium suggestion, tried and true.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sun is the "best lighting" for anemones. As with anything else, it's all about proper PAR and spectrum.. There is no best, it's either right or wrong, period.
Yeah! You are totally right!
I just replied another post saying that the comparisons I choose to determinate what the organisms should be/look like in any saltwater tank is what they are/look like in the ocean. The sun is the best light. The only artificial light that comes close to resemble the sun in may aspects for aquariums is metal halides IMO.
BUT.. that's only my opinion.
Grandis.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah! You are totally right!
I just replied another post saying that the comparisons I choose to determinate what the organisms should be/look like in any saltwater tank is what they are/look like in the ocean. The sun is the best light. The only artificial light that comes close to resemble the sun in may aspects for aquariums is metal halides IMO.
BUT.. that's only my opinion.
Grandis.

5 years ago I would have agreed with you, but that's just not the case anymore.

MH, T5 and LEDs all can all produce the proper par and Spectrum required. None are better at it then others, some are just easier to figure out then others.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 years ago I would have agreed with you, but that's just not the case anymore.

MH, T5 and LEDs all can all produce the proper par and Spectrum required. None are better at it then others, some are just easier to figure out then others.
Great. Let's move on with our lives.
Grandis.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kessil would work great.

Boom I know one of our coral vendors is actually running the AP700, is that you? If so got a review on it?

I know we have the data out there so we can match the CoralLab program on most fixtures, minus the Kessil since they due their own spectrum setup.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back