Best lighting type for anemones?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boom I know one of our coral vendors is actually running the AP700, is that you? If so got a review on it?

I know we have the data out there so we can match the CoralLab program on most fixtures, minus the Kessil since they due their own spectrum setup.
Yes actually. Just a basic par reading over a frag tank.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...th-kessil-lighting.326111/page-3#post-4047077

I am switching over to all Kessil lights now. In fact I'm putting 3x A360WE over my SPS tank this week.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes actually. Just a basic par reading over a frag tank.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/t...th-kessil-lighting.326111/page-3#post-4047077

I am switching over to all Kessil lights now. In fact I'm putting 3x A360WE over my SPS tank this week.
Any chance you have a build thread somewhere I'm missing? You're doing a lot of experimenting with quite a few products I'm currently interested in and would love to be able to track your successes and failures with some of these different things.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you have a build thread somewhere I'm missing? You're doing a lot of experimenting with quite a few products I'm currently interested in and would love to be able to track your successes and failures with some of these different things.
Sorry no build thread, just sort of started sharing stuff since people seemed interested.

volcano1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept bta and rbta under 400 watt halides. The rbta's
Would always split. The bta went ten years, never split and grew from 5" to over 18". It stayed in the same spot within several inches the whole time. The rbta's seem to roam some. This was under the same exact conditions, in the same tank.
HTH's.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going more than 24" deep and want Carpet Anemones Our Sirius XTC has doubled the size of our Red Carpet.

RBTAs grow like weeds and are exported to a local vendor.

570OCT16.jpg

Never2layt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently struggling with a H.Mag under AI Hydra 26 HD's it has reduced in size yet not lost colours and takes food daily. Considering adding T5's with the leds or worst case I will fire up the halides again. Personally I beleive I am struggling with getting the LED settings right and could be the problem with a lot of the hobbyist out there, very complex and hard to get right
What are your opinions?

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently struggling with a H.Mag under AI Hydra 26 HD's it has reduced in size yet not lost colours and takes food daily. Considering adding T5's with the leds or worst case I will fire up the halides again. Personally I beleive I am struggling with getting the LED settings right and could be the problem with a lot of the hobbyist out there, very complex and hard to get right
What are your opinions?

Check my build thread, I have an H-Mag under 26s and they're not even the fancy new HDs. I have all my setting and par numbers listed there. Also I would stop feeding daily personally. Read the sticky about feeding in the Nem forum.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again... a matter of taste....

You're right, it is a matter of taste, so why are you so feverishly defending your MHs which you have run around this forum touting as the "THE BEST' and even did so in this thread?

The fact of the matter is, we have actual science now which says, they actually might not be. Multiple companies like CoralLabs and others are testing out AND having success with all 3 lighting types. I for the life of me can not understand why somebody would continue to feverishly defend something which has been proven over and over and over again in this hobby over the last 5 years is simply not the case anymore.

Are LEDs for everybody, no, nor are MH nor are T5s. The simple reality is, there is no "best" anymore.

If you just want to buy a lighting type and plug it in and set a timer, MH is a great choice. If you want to buy an LED, look at what settings others with similar fixtures have for settings, mounting height, system specs and match them, you can do that too. If you want to buy your own PAR meter, control your own spectrum and set the PAR in your own tank based on your system, you can do that to.

So like I said already, there is no "best" as the choice is going to be different for everybody, but running around shouting "MHs are the BEST" regardless is simply spreading bad information at this point in the hobby.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, it is a matter of taste, so why are you so feverishly defending your MHs which you have run around this forum touting as the "THE BEST' and even did so in this thread?

Because I think it gives the very best results in the long run, just like some think LEDs are the best. Matter of taste, yeah, for what they think. It tastes better for me. That's it. No big deal. No worries...
I get nice responses from people that runs MHs/T5s and it's nice to hear from them. It's good to see them coming to the forum and talk about it.
I also try to help with bulb choices and what I know... I also learn more about ballasts and other new equipments.
I don't know what's your problem...
Is that you LED people like to talk and hear only about what you like?

The fact of the matter is, we have actual science now which says, they actually might not be. Multiple companies like CoralLabs and others are testing out AND having success with all 3 lighting types. I for the life of me can not understand why somebody would continue to feverishly defend something which has been proven over and over and over again in this hobby over the last 5 years is simply not the case anymore.

Just like the guy in the video... I feel like... just like some of you with the LEDs too.
I agree that we can have success with all 3 types of light. Aways agreed to that...I'm not crazy! Different type of success though.
Anyone can grow corals under most types of light with the right approach!! That's the truth.
You guys try to convince people about the LEDs, and I try to tell them what I like. So what? No big deal!
Please show me the papers from CoralLabs and others. That would be very interesting. I'll appreciate that.
I'm not against LEDs, but like T5s and halides better. I'll tell people what works easier for me and why, and what I recommend as the best for me. They will decide... and I'm not going to be mad if they choose LEDs.
Please don't get angry. I'm not against anyone. I'm not an anti-LED guys at all. Just prefer T5s and MHs and want people to know what I like. I don't like the hype of the LED marketing. That's true!

People all over the world try to get their opinions out there. I'm one of them. Not doing anything wrong here...
Go ask the moderators... To tell the truthI think they like when I show up.
Many times I come to a tread with subject containing MH and or T5s and LED people comes against me, like I'm their enemy.
I'm not going to any LED thread to bug those who like them. I respect them. I expect the same, please.

Are LEDs for everybody, no, nor are MH nor are T5s. The simple reality is, there is no "best" anymore.

I actually think MH and T5s are easier in many aspects... so would be for most people easier than LEDs, like plug and go.
So, why are you worried? If you think there is no "best" please don't defend LEDs too. LOL! I still think the corals and other organisms do much better under MHs and T5s in the long run. That's my opinion. I do think T5s are the easiest of all!!! Plug and play with joy!

If you just want to buy a lighting type and plug it in and set a timer, MH is a great choice. If you want to buy an LED, look at what settings others with similar fixtures have for settings, mounting height, system specs and match them, you can do that too. If you want to buy your own PAR meter, control your own spectrum and set the PAR in your own tank based on your system, you can do that to.

Agreed! Everyone has their own opinions. Like one of the members said: he wanted to hear from both sides and decide for himself. Let it be then... Many would like to hear from others... Not LED, LED, LED all the time... there are many options of T5 combinations and MHs too... I don't see what you're so worried about my posts... like I've said, I'm not invading any LED thread and trying to convince anyone that likes them.
To tell the truth I've been learning lots about LEDs here too.

So like I said already, there is no "best" as the choice is going to be different for everybody, but running around shouting "MHs are the BEST" regardless is simply spreading bad information at this point in the hobby.

Bad info? Why? That's what I think and have experienced... Just my US$.02. I hope you don't get upset, man. I just prefer to spread the news and let people know there is someone that likes them too.
Just like there is the "LED club" everywhere. The "MH/T5 club" exists and they have been suffocated by the LED companies.
There are more and more people switching back to T5s and MHs from the LEDs every day. There must be a reason for that, don't you think?

People:
It's ok to prefer T5s and MHs!!

It's also ok to prefer your LEDs!!

We are all in the same boat and we should be friends!
It's what I think and the way many think.
Enjoy the ride...

Grandis.

Amoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can honestly say I have no idea what you just typed.

I'm suddenly "you guys now"? LOL ok man. I came to this thread to talk about lighting for Anemones, which I happen to care about, not your squabble between you and "LED guys".

Either way good luck.

Schmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kessil360 but I dont think I have its intensity up enough for them to get the most out of em. Currently at 65%, I think theyll do better around 75% or even higher

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this tank build didnt come about the way i was hoping. Inadvertantly (sp) I will be getting a custom tank made from SC Aquariums which about matches the dims of the elos 120xl. I absolutely will still have anemones in here, as they are some of my favorite things in the hobby, but likely will not be nem dominant like i was going to go with in the start of this thread. With that said i will be using t5/led hybrid on the tank, as i already have the light and can hopefully get away with not spending even more money in the build. Some day i will go full halide, just because ive never done it before and really would like to see in person the difference it makes.

Thank you everyone for the Advice, hopefully it helps someone out there decide on lighting for their nems :)

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can honestly say I have no idea what you just typed.

I'm suddenly "you guys now"? LOL ok man. I came to this thread to talk about lighting for Anemones, which I happen to care about, not your squabble between you and "LED guys".

Either way good luck.
Like I've said... let's move with our lives...
All good.
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here somewhere in that you asked for actual information I think.

http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/ReefWholesale_CoralLab.pdf
I know about that one since they published.
Comparison isn't fair at all.
That is only t make newbies and general public addicted to their marketing .
Not scientific too.
Read carefully.
It's only a partnership to promote both companies.
I'm sorry, that's what I don't agree.
Apple like PDFs to make easy money.
Why did you bring that up.

Grandis.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this tank build didnt come about the way i was hoping. Inadvertantly (sp) I will be getting a custom tank made from SC Aquariums which about matches the dims of the elos 120xl. I absolutely will still have anemones in here, as they are some of my favorite things in the hobby, but likely will not be nem dominant like i was going to go with in the start of this thread. With that said i will be using t5/led hybrid on the tank, as i already have the light and can hopefully get away with not spending even more money in the build. Some day i will go full halide, just because ive never done it before and really would like to see in person the difference it makes.

Thank you everyone for the Advice, hopefully it helps someone out there decide on lighting for their nems :)
I think you'll be just fine with the T5/LED. Honestly, it doesn't matter which type of light you pick, they will all work the same for anemones and coral. At the end of the day they all perform the same, and the choice comes down to personal tastes like looks, features, controllability, etc.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back