Best lighting under $250

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been really happy with my light so far, but the jury is still out. It looks great, fits great on top of the tank, has two timers built in and a ramp up ramp down feature. My bubble tip seems very happy as do my zoas.

curious what others think of the specs on this light. So feel free to jump in and let me know. For the price ($50) I gave it a try and have been happy.

I have the 36” on my 35g bowfront.

AE4EB214-10B9-4474-A06C-E9D2BE91B860.png

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember, there is a big difference between growing and thriving. I see a dramatic difference between coral colors grown under high end lights compared to budget black boxes. I’m not saying black boxes won’t grow, I’m saying you will get better colors under a t5 hybrid or good led’s.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sb reef lights. Chinese black boxes with upgraded spectrum and American customer support.
OMG that's the funniest thing I've read in 2020. The guy who runs SB Reef spends 95% of his time on a research boat under a Gov Grant. He only packs and ships online orders on his Sunday afternoon off.

Youd be more successful calling up the Pope at the Vatican than to get an email or call/text from him

His customer service is so bad that customers of his are forced to run a Facebook Support website where they all help each other out post-sale.

Not trashing the company...HE'S GOT GOOD PRODUCT but post-sale? Forggggget about it.

just telling 100% truth of the reality of the situation. He can run his biz any way he wants....which is almost always zero customer interaction

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG that's the funniest thing I've read in 2020. The guy who runs SB Reef spends 95% of his time on a research boat under a Gov Grant. He only packs and ships online orders on his Sunday afternoon off.

Youd be more successful calling up the Pope at the Vatican than to get an email or call/text from him

His customer service is so bad that customers of his are forced to run a Facebook Support website where they all help each other out post-sale.

Not trashing the company...HE'S GOT GOOD PRODUCT but post-sale? Forggggget about it.

just telling 100% truth of the reality of the situation. He can run his biz any way he wants....which is almost always zero customer interaction

Interesting I had a completely different experience. When installing my lights a couple years ago I broke a brass hanging loop. He sent me a new ones in the mail no questions asked, responded immediately. Just my personal experience.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting I had a completely different experience. When installing my lights a couple years ago I broke a brass hanging loop. He sent me a new ones in the mail no questions asked, responded immediately. Just my personal experience.
Times have changed.

Since his Gov Grant to do research on the open water his SB Reefing biz has gone to major autopilot.

His entire mind and efforts aren't growing his biz..I reached out to him with 5 emails and 4 phones after I dropped $300 in his bank acct. Not a single whiff of him replying.

I final got an answer thru a R2Rer who visits his brick and mortar. He too said he has let that side of the biz completely survive on autopilot. He shops elsewhere

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a used metal halide. You won’t do better for the price, and will be able to grow any corals you want. Much simpler to operate as well...no playing around with spectrums. Just get a timer and turn it on 8 hours a day.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a used metal halide. You won’t do better for the price, and will be able to grow any corals you want. Much simpler to operate as well...no playing around with spectrums. Just get a timer and turn it on 8 hours a day.
Love the idea

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get this light at Amazon.
It’s proven to grow corals

OceanRevive Arctic T247-B Full Spectrum Dimmable LED Aquarium Reef Light

wrasse man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek OR Bars, mounted properly and spectrum mix you could easily light a tank with just those.

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But they run for a 4 ft 180 bucks (roughly) and x2 you get a deal but still over 300. But I think they have such great color and spread. Buddy just bought 2 and it was an amazing difference

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Times have changed.

Since his Gov Grant to do research on the open water his SB Reefing biz has gone to major autopilot.

His entire mind and efforts aren't growing his biz..I reached out to him with 5 emails and 4 phones after I dropped $300 in his bank acct. Not a single whiff of him replying.

I final got an answer thru a R2Rer who visits his brick and mortar. He too said he has let that side of the biz completely survive on autopilot. He shops elsewhere

This is very disappointing. I really like their product but poor customer service is somewhat of a deal breaker for me. Might have to consider other options if my lights ever die. What a shame. Anyways thanks for sharing.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back