Best Lights For Tank Setup???

  • Thread starter Thread starter eyyeye
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

eyyeye

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 9, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I'm a PhD student who is studying coral fragments from a material science point of view. My plan is to get a lot of Platygyra and Mystic Sunset Montipora fragments (expensive=precious samples). From some research Platygyra requires ~100-150 PAR and the Montipora ~250-450 PAR, so not a crazy discrepancy. I'm trying to plan the systems out (4 tanks, 30x12x12) and am kind of stuck on the lighting. I've looked at the NICREW Gen 2 (150W), but I think it might be an overkill. I've also looked at the Orbit Marine R24, but I think it might not have full coverage. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank y'all so much in advance.
 
the nicrew can be overkill, but you can also just tune the intensity down.

Would you have the 3 tanks adjacent to each other and use a single light fixture, or are you gonna have them separate and one fixture on each?
 
I was planning on having a light per tank, but they would be adjacent to each other. Do you think there would be enough light coverage/spread if I just have one light fixture or 2 b/c I'll have 4 tanks?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new