Best local stores to get everything saltwater around Worcester and Framingham.

danielm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a new place in Auburn, Ma. Route 12. It is called Reef Junkees. They have an amazing variety and the people are really nice.
I need to check that out. Thank you for the info!

Update: According to google, Reef Junkeez is "permanetly closed". Is that so?

Last edited:

danielm5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to Tropic Isle not too long ago in their new location and it was a mess. The tanks didn't look as well kept as they used to and it smelled pretty bad in there. Does anyone know if they are under new ownership? I think they are. I have always liked the store and had no issues with any fish I got there, but i'm a little leery about it now due to what I saw last time.
I've been recently and I saw it improved from sometime before. The new owner was there and we've talked for a few minutes. She was very kind and explained to us how she was trying to improve from what she got. I liked that and I'll keep going for now.

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been recently and I saw it improved from sometime before. The new owner was there and we've talked for a few minutes. She was very kind and explained to us how she was trying to improve from what she got. I liked that and I'll keep going for now.
I’m a little late to the party, but I wholeheartedly agree. I’ve witnessed the stores evolution over the past 35years and can attest it’s now one of my favorites.

Everything is clean, organized, and well cared for. The employees are very knowledgeable though are not afraid to go ask the owner for aid answering questions.

The pivotal moment for me was when I bought a Bluestar Leopard Wrasse. Any store that has two large tanks with around 20 Leopard wrasses all fat and eating frozen mysis definitely knows what they’re doing. After a week of stellar performance with the Bluestar, I went back with my son and got a Black Leopard Wrasse. Both took to pellets quickly and have been thriving in QT.

DeepBreath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, all,

Any news on saltwater specific retailers in or around the Worcester area? Reef Junkies in Auburn was just okay, but went out of business a while ago. Fishy Frags in the same strip mall was open for a while, and was a great store, but went out of business around November 2023. I'm hoping that the proprietor, Matt, opens up another shop, or finds a home at another aquatics store soon. Other than your big box pet stores, I think Tropical Isle in Framingham is my closest option in Worcester, but that's still a hike for us, and their hours are lousy. Does anyone know of any other place that's closer to Worcester? (It amazes me that in the second largest City in New England we don't have at least one decent place that you can get advice and purchase our little aquatic friends and gear.)

Second question, what's the best on-line retailer for fish, corals, and inverts? I've been using Reef Cleaners for years for my CUC. I bought some stuff from Tidal Gardens last year and I was impressed with their operation. The last fish I bought on-line was from Live Aquaria, but, eh? I'm hoping to find a better place to shop.

Thanks, everybody!!

TheFunnyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, all,

Any news on saltwater specific retailers in or around the Worcester area? Reef Junkies in Auburn was just okay, but went out of business a while ago. Fishy Frags in the same strip mall was open for a while, and was a great store, but went out of business around November 2023. I'm hoping that the proprietor, Matt, opens up another shop, or finds a home at another aquatics store soon. Other than your big box pet stores, I think Tropical Isle in Framingham is my closest option in Worcester, but that's still a hike for us, and their hours are lousy. Does anyone know of any other place that's closer to Worcester? (It amazes me that in the second largest City in New England we don't have at least one decent place that you can get advice and purchase our little aquatic friends and gear.)

Second question, what's the best on-line retailer for fish, corals, and inverts? I've been using Reef Cleaners for years for my CUC. I bought some stuff from Tidal Gardens last year and I was impressed with their operation. The last fish I bought on-line was from Live Aquaria, but, eh? I'm hoping to find a better place to shop.

Thanks, everybody!!
The only online fish I’ve bought were through Michael’s NYAquatics.

They have great live sales that stream on Facebook and Instagram where you get to see all the tanks, plus feeding time which is a huge plus.

Just recently ordered a Vivien’s Leopard Wrasse which ended up getting sold out, but the owner called and offered the more expensive Jewel Leopard Wrasse at the same price which speaks volumes to me. Even agreed to send her with 2” of sand in the bag at no additional shipping charge. She arrived happy and immediately started eating, along with the other dartfish/Blenny I filled out the order with.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little late to the party, but I wholeheartedly agree. I’ve witnessed the stores evolution over the past 35years and can attest it’s now one of my favorites.

Everything is clean, organized, and well cared for. The employees are very knowledgeable though are not afraid to go ask the owner for aid answering questions.

The pivotal moment for me was when I bought a Bluestar Leopard Wrasse. Any store that has two large tanks with around 20 Leopard wrasses all fat and eating frozen mysis definitely knows what they’re doing. After a week of stellar performance with the Bluestar, I went back with my son and got a Black Leopard Wrasse. Both took to pellets quickly and have been thriving in QT.
I agree as well. I've been going to the Tropic Isle since the the 1980s.

I finally got to check out the newest store after the transitional years. It was a quick visit, checked out the reef tanks and bought some snails. The staff was available and friendly. They had a decent selection of various sized corals in decent prices, comparable to online....really wanted to buy some pieces.

I'll definitely check them out when I'm in town again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back