Best LPS (or softie) corals for a high flow area of my 40g breeder with 4 T-5’s and a gyre

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

C562078C-998D-4927-BB72-19D9E0D3C33D.jpeg

I want to place corals along the top of this rockscape (highlighted). Since this area gets the highest flow from my gyre and is closest to the lights, what are good choices? I’m thinking not acans or anything like a torch or hammer. I’m wondering if a flatter LPS would be good, like a favia, or an encrusting coral. I don’t have any SPS so the nutrients are usually NO3 5-10ppm and PO4 0.00-0.05. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Tundra Cuttle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could do chalices up there. Or zoas that like high light high flow. Generally nothing too fleshy as you know for high flow.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of photosynthetic gorgonians. They like high flow and high light, they grow quickly, they add height and interest to the reefscape, and they really make it look like a natural reef.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of photosynthetic gorgonians. They like high flow and high light, they grow quickly, they add height and interest to the reefscape, and they really make it look like a natural reef.
Thanks! Are they hard to keep?

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Are they hard to keep?

They don't seem to be. these are the main types. I have a Golden Willow, a corky finger, a purple candleabra and an orange candleabra.

I'd say the Golden Willow is the toughest to keep. I'd recommend the candleabras the most. Place them in high current and high light with the wide part of the gorgonian fadein into the flow and they're pretty hardy. The reason for the high flow and facing them that way is to keep algae off of them. Much easier than I probably made it sound.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 41 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back