Gyre pump and dc we’ve pumps either too much or not enough flow.

Colemansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so basically I have a 40 breeder I would like to attach videos but I can’t figure out how but I will post pictures. Originally I had a SLW-10 and SLW-30 one on each end of the tank and even with those I had to turn the SLW 30 all the way down to the lowest setting, or it would completely overpower the other and just blast my torches and make them flail around like they were gonna come off the frag rack. SLW 10 being on the highest setting at this time. I have them set up on slave mode so that they’re supposed to alternate with the W-2 for wave function, which is supposed to be the function that causes them to alternate. Anyway I was thinking that the SOW 30 was just overpowering the 10 so much that all the flow was going in one direction and it was just pushing their tentacles all in One Direction because it was always coming from one side and you could see like the mouth and everything exposed from it, pushing the tentacles down so hard replaced the SLW 10 with a jabao SCP 70 i’m still kind of having that issue with the SLW 30 even with it on its lowest setting it almost seems like with two pumps on the two currents are meeting in the middle and then going straight down on top of the torches. That’s just a guess but if I unplug the SLW 30 put SCP 70 all the way on its highest setting it almost hits that sweet spot but it’s just not quite enough flow. Any recommendations from anyone on adjustments I could make or anything that could fix this. I’m going to try to attatch a video with just the gyre and with both and a pic of their locations as well If the videos work is the flow with just the gyre enough?

IMG_9518.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9516.mov
    13.9 MB
  • IMG_9520.mov
    46.5 MB

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so basically I have a 40 breeder I would like to attach videos but I can’t figure out how but I will post pictures. Originally I had a SLW-10 and SLW-30 one on each end of the tank and even with those I had to turn the SLW 30 all the way down to the lowest setting, or it would completely overpower the other and just blast my torches and make them flail around like they were gonna come off the frag rack. SLW 10 being on the highest setting at this time. I have them set up on slave mode so that they’re supposed to alternate with the W-2 for wave function, which is supposed to be the function that causes them to alternate. Anyway I was thinking that the SOW 30 was just overpowering the 10 so much that all the flow was going in one direction and it was just pushing their tentacles all in One Direction because it was always coming from one side and you could see like the mouth and everything exposed from it, pushing the tentacles down so hard replaced the SLW 10 with a jabao SCP 70 i’m still kind of having that issue with the SLW 30 even with it on its lowest setting it almost seems like with two pumps on the two currents are meeting in the middle and then going straight down on top of the torches. That’s just a guess but if I unplug the SLW 30 put SCP 70 all the way on its highest setting it almost hits that sweet spot but it’s just not quite enough flow. Any recommendations from anyone on adjustments I could make or anything that could fix this. I’m going to try to attatch a video with just the gyre and with both and a pic of their locations as well If the videos work is the flow with just the gyre enough?

IMG_9518.jpeg
Most people upload to YouTube and post a link. Hope that helps

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video shows way to much flow. I've found less is more when it comes to flow in a box of water unlike the open ocean. I only run my MP40s at 28% during the day and 20% overnight and I have a heavily stocked SPS dominant mixed reef.

OP
OP
Colemansreef

Colemansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m still struggling with this I’ve dialed in somewhat. I’m only using the one gyre pump now and it’s set super low and that’s giving me proper flow for my torches and my hammers but there’s one spot in the tank where it still has too much flow and there are several spots that don’t have enough flow at all I’m wondering is it better for me to have several really small pumps maybe? Like 2-3 slw-10 pumps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back