Best Luck, Worst Luck, and "Sheer Dumb Luck"

dcsorrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best Luck: What's the luckiest thing that has happened to you in this hobby?

Worst Luck: What went terribly wrong in spite of your best efforts?

"Sheer Dumb Luck:" What went right even though you made a whopping big mistake?

Here are mine:

Best Luck: Two freshwater friends who had gotten into reefing called to tell me to get out my other aquarium (was sitting in the attic) and clean it up, because they were on their way with live sand, critters included, in a bucket of saltwater, and those little lives depended on it. Shoot, I couldn't say "no" to that, and thus began eleven magical years of reefkeeping.

Worst Luck: Losing corals after my T5 fixture died, and I didn't really know how to program my new led light to keep them healthy. It took too long to find out how, so I lost all my lps - a beautiful fox coral and also my green hammer corals, as well as a really nice stand of silver xenia.

"Sheer Dumb Luck:" I'd been extremely busy, between teenagers, two dogs, aging parents and part-time job. We had had an overnight power outage, and I'd forgotten to check the Aquaclear filter I was using for extra water movement. Three days later, I realized it wasn't running, and because I wasn't thinking, I unplugged it, added water, and plugged it back in. It happened that some months earlier, I had moved a few very small rocks into it from the display area into the filter for temporary storage, and (fortunately) the little life forms attached to the rocks had kept the water in the filter from going bad - amphipods, micro brittle stars, a couple of tiny bivalves, all happily feeding on whatever came through. Kinda makes me want to start a jar reef... maybe...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best Luck: What's the luckiest thing that has happened to you in this hobby?

Got hooked up with a local reef store with helpful employees, excellent livestock who know what they are doing.

Worst Luck: What went terribly wrong in spite of your best efforts?
Bought a stand from another lFS - a 200 gallon. it looked 'great' at the person's house. thing weighed about 450 lbs. The stand was also heavy. We got it onto the house - and the stand wobbled from side to side. The guy said 'oh - once you put water in you won't even notice it. Well let's put it this way - I noticed it. Had to be replaced within a couple months. The luck was I realized what a fool the owner of that LFS was... (and what a fool I was) - you get what you pay for.
"Sheer Dumb Luck:" What went right even though you made a whopping big mistake?
An (unnamed controller) completely stopped working properly - and 1 liter of BRS alkalinity and a liter of BRS CACL2 was added to the tank (1 liter each) overnight. The water was slightly cloudy - the alkalinity was 22 - but most of it precipitated in the sump - and caused no problem. It was lucky that I had just refilled both containers and they contained the exact amount of volume

Back