Best macro algae to feed larger inverts

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 14, 2019
Messages
4,198
Reaction score
11,328
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received an awesome order from ipsf this weekend which included 2-3 strombus conch and another very large crab.

My tank is not completely spotless of algae but they’ve certainly done some work and I really enjoy watching these big guys.

I’ve heard of people rubber banding nori to a rock for their larger inverts when their tanks get really clean.

Has anyone done this? I’m currently growing tang heaven in my fuge and am wondering if I can feed them this consistently? If not, what are some foods you feed your larger inverts?
 
Nori banded to a rock always works well. Also algae based pellets always find their way to the sand bed and books and crannies in the rock work.
 
Nori banded to a rock always works well. Also algae based pellets always find their way to the sand bed and books and crannies in the rock work.

How often do you do this? I don’t have any herbivores in the tank so only the inverts would feed on this.
 
How often do you do this? I don’t have any herbivores in the tank so only the inverts would feed on this.
You kinda have to figure it out. Start with say 1/8 sheet of nori folded up and banded to a rock on the sand bed. See who all shows up and how long it lasts. You may also try it in 2 spots, one at each end? Then go from there. It should be supplemental and not their only food source.
 
Anything expensive and hard to replace.
 
Anything expensive and hard to replace.

Haha I’m confused here! So I should be growing incredibly expensive and surprisingly rare macro algae for my larger inverts like this guy?

341E3F77-76FE-453B-BAF3-998A366FC5D9.jpeg
 
No. I'd absolutely harvest what you are growing successfully. My ninja star snails devoured some pricey macro.
 
I rubberband nori to a rock for my herbivore fish during the day and repeat the same when lights go out for my urchins. Super easy. Use a tiny rock or rock rubble. It does not need to be big at all, algae is super light. Use a small rubberband ( i keep the ones that come on the bags when i buy fish at the lfs) to secure even just part of it to the rock. Drop it in a very easy area to grab it again. Repeat!
 
No. I'd absolutely harvest what you are growing successfully. My ninja star snails devoured some pricey macro.


I’ll throw a piece of tang heaven into the display and see who takes it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new