Best Macroalgae For 20 Gallon Reef Tank

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates were at Salifert zero so I raised it, but accidentally to high. The nitrates went from zero to 50ppm which I believe caused my Monti to bleach. Once I got the nitrates down to 25ppm the monti recovered. I have another monti that started to bleach from I believe being stung by a favia coral that I moved into a corner. It is now recovering. I would like to keep my nitrates under 10ppm. I am now below 20ppm after a four gallon water change. I am thinking that the nitrate spike caused the rock to absorb some or a lot. Perhaps the rock is releasing nitrates into the water. Would adding a small piece of macroalgae into the tank be a good idea to reduce nitrates? Below is a video of my tank. Change the quality to 720. Thanks to you all

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank that size, water changes are the easiest way to keep things under control. A little hang on for growing macro wouldn't hurt anything, but growing it in tank could be worse than better.

OP
OP
reeftankdude

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank that size, water changes are the easiest way to keep things under control. A little hang on for growing macro wouldn't hurt anything, but growing it in tank could be worse than better.
Thanks for your help, but how cold it be worse? Perhaps the macroalgae will bring the nitrates down to low?

courtneykeeps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how it could be worse.

Macroalgae is very efficient at consuming nitrates and phosphates, plus it looks nice! Not many things can do all of the above. I feed my tank 3x a day and the nitrates and phosphates are near negligible.

Caulerpa prolifera/taxifolia and Botryocladia are great easy fast growers.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates were at Salifert zero so I raised it, but accidentally to high. The nitrates went from zero to 50ppm which I believe caused my Monti to bleach. Once I got the nitrates down to 25ppm the monti recovered. I have another monti that started to bleach from I believe being stung by a favia coral that I moved into a corner. It is now recovering. I would like to keep my nitrates under 10ppm. I am now below 20ppm after a four gallon water change. I am thinking that the nitrate spike caused the rock to absorb some or a lot. Perhaps the rock is releasing nitrates into the water. Would adding a small piece of macroalgae into the tank be a good idea to reduce nitrates? Below is a video of my tank. Change the quality to 720. Thanks to you all

Rocks do not absorb nitrate. Sometimes dry rock can absorb phosphate. Generally, macro nitrogen to phosphate ratio is 30:1.

OP
OP
reeftankdude

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how it could be worse.

Macroalgae is very efficient at consuming nitrates and phosphates, plus it looks nice! Not many things can do all of the above. I feed my tank 3x a day and the nitrates and phosphates are near negligible.

Caulerpa prolifera/taxifolia and Botryocladia are great easy fast growers.
Which of the macroalgae you recommend can grow in the shaded areas of the tank. Thanks for the help.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which of the macroalgae you recommend can grow in the shaded areas of the tank. Thanks for the help.
Bortacladia is collected in 30’ to 130’ of water. when I get from the divers, it is a bright burgundy color.

image.jpg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back