Best Method to Crystal Clear Water

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at what option is best for removing the yellow tinge in my water. I run GAC in a reactor once a month for 4 days. When I do that, the tank is crystal clear after the 4 days. It lasts a week or two then yellows up. Its mainly noticeable in a white bucket and not from looking at the tank. The tank is 220g total volume and I run a 4” sock that gets changed ever other day, a 20 gallon fuge, marine pure, skimmer and that’s it. I run a CaRX and don’t dose anything. I do 2% daily water changes.

With a budget of about $400 which is the best option?

1. Continue with the carbon and up the amount to 2x a month? (It’s a pain to run the reactor and change the media which is why I do it around 1x a month.)

2. Get an Ozone generator and dose a minimal amount into the skimmer at night (monitored by Apex)

3. Add a UV sterilizer (Aqua 50-75w. All fish are run through strict QT so parasites and disease are not a concern)

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at what option is best for removing the yellow tinge in my water. I run GAC in a reactor once a month for 4 days. When I do that, the tank is crystal clear after the 4 days. It lasts a week or two then yellows up. Its mainly noticeable in a white bucket and not from looking at the tank. The tank is 220g total volume and I run a 4” sock that gets changed ever other day, a 20 gallon fuge, marine pure, skimmer and that’s it. I run a CaRX and don’t dose anything. I do 2% daily water changes.

1. Continue with the carbon and up the amount to 2x a month? (It’s a pain to run the reactor and change the media which is why I do it around 1x a month.)

2. Get an Ozone generator and dose a minimal amount into the skimmer at night (monitored by Apex)

3. Add a UV sterilizer (Aqua 50-75w. All fish are run through strict QT so parasites and disease are not a concern)
I’d try running some carbon outside of a reactor and just leaving it in. I have a bag of chemipure blue rated for a 75gal in my 90. The water is always ridiculously clear looking, no yellow at all but nitrates are still healthy at 15. I also don’t run socks at all. I just put the chemipure bag after the baffle, before my return in my sump.

Applegate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Another option you could look at is the nano scrubbing bubbles method. Do it at night, opposite schedule of your lights and it'll help with ph and clear up your water. At first coals slime up a bit but then get used to it. Itll make your filter socks more efficient.

Applegate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option you could look at is the nano scrubbing bubbles method. Do it at night, opposite schedule of your lights and it'll help with ph and clear up your water. At first coals slime up a bit but then get used to it. Itll make your filter socks more efficient.
O and it's cheap. Like $40 cheap. Air pump, wood air stone and tubing

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone is probably the way to go. It doesn't get much love in the US but most professional facilities use it and it's popular in Europe. I think @Lasse mentioned he runs it 24/7 to maintain water clarity. It's old school but I know the site Wet Web Media has a lot of Q & A on ozone use could probably be of help.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - I´m not running any ozon in my present tank - I did in the tank i had for before this but in the present tank I use an Oxidator in order to oxidize yellow substances. Its works well

But ozon works as well

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone is probably the way to go. It doesn't get much love in the US but most professional facilities use it and it's popular in Europe. I think @Lasse mentioned he runs it 24/7 to maintain water clarity. It's old school but I know the site Wet Web Media has a lot of Q & A on ozone use could probably be of help.
I like the idea of ozone because I see it being used in most professional facilities. It also seems to be big over seas. I like the concept.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than you water looking more clear in a bucket, what do you hope to gain by doing this? I used to use ozone, then stopped, then started again, then stopped... all of the time never noticing any real difference in the tank or the inhabitants. Is there a specific goal that you want to achieve?

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than you water looking more clear in a bucket, what do you hope to gain by doing this? I used to use ozone, then stopped, then started again, then stopped... all of the time never noticing any real difference in the tank or the inhabitants. Is there a specific goal that you want to achieve?
Basically I am looking for clear water and less toxins in the water. Basically I am looking to replace the carbon reactor.

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME UV did a tremendous job on the clarity of my water. I ran carbon only for a few weeks and it did help with clarity and thought I was good. I purchased a 57W UV sterilizer to deal with the neverending ich on my hippo tang. Not only did it help with the ich, the water clarity improved so much I cant even tell theres water in the tank and I can see the corals at night with my small LED strip nightlights.

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME UV did a tremendous job on the clarity of my water. I ran carbon only for a few weeks and it did help with clarity and thought I was good. I purchased a 57W UV sterilizer to deal with the neverending ich on my hippo tang. Not only did it help with the ich, the water clarity improved so much I cant even tell theres water in the tank and I can see the corals at night with my small LED strip nightlights.

Shinister, Can you tell me what brand you bought and how big is your tank. I am on verge of buying one thank you

Shinister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shinister, Can you tell me what brand you bought and how big is your tank. I am on verge of buying one thank you

AquaUV 57w. My tank is 125g with a 20g sump. According to the AquaUV chart, my flow rate should be over 1000 gph but I’m guesstimating my flow at less than 300 as I’m trying to get the most efficient kill rate

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow coincidentally you have exactly the same set up as me.. thank you, hey are a little expensive but you get what you pay for

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back