Best nutrient export for a 40g LPS tank

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 40g fowlr that’s been up for a year. I just got an ATI T5 fixture and the tank will be almost exclusively LPS, with some softies. I currently use Nopox for nutrient removal and it works very well. I’m thinking of switching to a chaeto reactor to help with ph. My question is this: I know LPS like some NO3 and PO4, so I’m thinking keeping the nitrates between 5-10ppm and the phosphates between 0.02-0.05. Which of these methods would help me achieve these levels? I’ve read that algae reactors sometimes strip the water to super low nutrient levels which I don’t think would work with my tank. I also know that Nopox could do the same thing, but seems easier to adjust. I appreciate all advice, as I want this tank to be an LPS showcase!

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the reactor idea, you can adjust nutrient uptake with its lighting period.

However that would reduce the effect it has on ph.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the reactor idea, you can adjust nutrient uptake with its lighting period.

However that would reduce the effect it has on ph.
I do like the reactor idea. My house is sealed because we live in South Florida, so my pH sits between 7.8-8.0 even with an alk of 11-12. I’m pretty sure it’s CO2, which a reactor would help with. I could also lower the Nopox.

eddius_maximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use chaeto in a fuge for nutrient export. It has been very effective for me. It allowed me to remove my GFO reactor as well as stop dosing nopox. I like that it sort of self-regulates. It won't strip the water too clean (at least in my experience). It just slows down growth.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back