Best one time use Phosphate Absorber

TrampledByEwoks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

In short, I need to reduce my phosphates. I will being doing water changes now that I've fixed my RODI issue, but I am wondering what the best one time punch phosphate sponge is to speed up this process.

Back story for those interested: Had a reefing blunder this past month that I am trying to correct. My phosphates are usually in check running around a steady .1-.13. Everyone in the tank seems plenty happy so I've been running with it. This last month out of nowhere I had a massive algae bloom and when testing my phosphates (with a Hannah checker) it came back at .9!! I swapped my resin in my BRS RODI system around the same time I started to see the algae pop up. Check the TDS out yesterday and was showing a 2-3. Pull the canister and the resin was sloshing around in there. Clearly wasn't packed even close to tight. Fixed that and now will be playing catch up, but wanted to know what phosphate sponge has worked best for people. Most threads on fixing PO4 are based on finding the root cause of the issue, but I am just looking for a good one time punch for it.

OP
OP
T

TrampledByEwoks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also note, that I have used Kents Phosphates sponge years ago and it worked very well, but I can't find it anywhere now.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Seachem Phosguard to reduce high level silicates (not phosphates, but it’s suppose to take care of them too) and it worked really fast.

If you use it, make sure you rinse it really well. I did rinse it but not enough and it killed some corals.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered where your high phosphate is coming from? Address it at the source in stead of looking for quick solutions! :)

Anyhow, chuck in some GFO either in a reactor or alternatively a bag in an area with high flow. But be careful, it works really, really well!

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

In short, I need to reduce my phosphates. I will being doing water changes now that I've fixed my RODI issue, but I am wondering what the best one time punch phosphate sponge is to speed up this process.

Back story for those interested: Had a reefing blunder this past month that I am trying to correct. My phosphates are usually in check running around a steady .1-.13. Everyone in the tank seems plenty happy so I've been running with it. This last month out of nowhere I had a massive algae bloom and when testing my phosphates (with a Hannah checker) it came back at .9!! I swapped my resin in my BRS RODI system around the same time I started to see the algae pop up. Check the TDS out yesterday and was showing a 2-3. Pull the canister and the resin was sloshing around in there. Clearly wasn't packed even close to tight. Fixed that and now will be playing catch up, but wanted to know what phosphate sponge has worked best for people. Most threads on fixing PO4 are based on finding the root cause of the issue, but I am just looking for a good one time punch for it.

Seachem Phosguard

OP
OP
T

TrampledByEwoks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered where your high phosphate is coming from? Address it at the source in stead of looking for quick solutions! :)

Anyhow, chuck in some GFO either in a reactor or alternatively a bag in an area with high flow. But be careful, it works really, really well!
Yeah I know the spike came from me not getting my resin packed in right and was seeing the TDS sitting at a 2-3. I live in an agricultural part of Minnesota and our tap water has a mass amount of PO4 in it, so not having my RODI system tuned up right would allow a lot to bleed through.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that even a 100% water change won’t drop phosphate all that much in most cases due to phosphate now bound to rock and sand that you will need to strip away to reduce it (hence the idea that a one time use may not be adequate).

OP
OP
T

TrampledByEwoks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remember that even a 100% water change won’t drop phosphate all that much in most cases due to phosphate now bound to rock and sand that you will need to strip away to reduce it (hence the idea that a one time use may not be adequate).
That makes sense. What would you recommend as the best course of action?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. What would you recommend as the best course of action?

if you think you might only use it temporarily, aluminum oxide in a mesh bag (well rinsed before use) would likely be the best inexpensive option, followed by lanthanum liquid dosing (the concern, IMO, has to do with tang health), followed by GFO, which is the best overall option for ongoing use, but requires capital outlay for a reactor.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back