Best Parastalic pump for large frozen food?

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking into a DIY frozen feeder but I make my own food using a meat grinder and blender. There are usually large chunks that would clog the DOS I was planning to use.

So Im now trying to find a reverse-able pump with large tubing. Or a way to shove larger tube into a DOS.

Anyone have any suggestions?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following!

I am using an Ecotech Versa pump for my liquid food mix, but I am going through some effort for it to be in nice and small bits. :relieved-face:

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the only thing I have found is a knock off masterflex that uses 3/8 OD 1/4" ID tubing, but I would have to make a controller for it.

Im hoping to find something premade like that before I dive into that rabbit hole.

Korrupt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at the reef factory large pumps? I think it’s 3/8ID 1/2OD.

Edit: not sure if rerea look

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Kamoer KPHM400 from amazon for PE mysis in my coral flat w/ a copperband

What are you using to control it? What size is the tubing?

Have you looked at the reef factory large pumps? I think it’s 3/8ID 1/2OD.

Edit: not sure if rerea look

I got really excited about this but I cant find anything that says it can run in reverse.

Korrupt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I got really excited about this but I cant find anything that says it can run in reverse.
That was my edit. The can’t find out about reverse part. Would never let me back into edit. I’m half tempted to open one (I have 2 sitting here I’m sending back to BRS). For the BYO version of the peristaltic it’s usually a smart plug/smart strip. Give drain pump power for certain time frame and have it shut off. Give power to the salt water for equal calibrated amount of time.

Are you just running the reverse to clear the line? There’s a ton of different ways to run do this without having reverse. Are you going mini fridge?

Korrupt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
inD is an option if you just wait a month or two. I bet it’s gonna be like a grand though. After almost 4 years they are shipping out their Kickstarter units in the next week finally.

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
inD is an option if you just wait a month or two. I bet it’s gonna be like a grand though. After almost 4 years they are shipping out their Kickstarter units in the next week finally.

This is for a single tank, only feeds one food and still has small tubes. I am looking at feeding 4 tanks with options to add separate coral food dosing as well.

So far Im just getting parts together.
t3BF0kQ.jpg

Fridge, mixers, and 2xDOS still come in at less than a grand.

I have A DOS Im planning to use to get things up an running for testing, but as said Im looking for an option to dose chunky foods for the larger fish.

Id perfer reversible pumps because the lines will be about 15 feet before they reach the returns so Id like to suck the food in the lines back into the fridge. I Dont want to do RO flush because I dont want 2 pumps for every feed line (that would go from 4-6 pumps min to 8-12. I cant open a solenoid and let the food gravity drain because it will be too viscous and all but one will end up being pumped up not down.

Korrupt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is for a single tank, only feeds one food and still has small tubes. I am looking at feeding 4 tanks with options to add separate coral food dosing as well.

So far Im just getting parts together.
t3BF0kQ.jpg

Fridge, mixers, and 2xDOS still come in at less than a grand.

I have A DOS Im planning to use to get things up an running for testing, but as said Im looking for an option to dose chunky foods for the larger fish.

Id perfer reversible pumps because the lines will be about 15 feet before they reach the returns so Id like to suck the food in the lines back into the fridge. I Dont want to do RO flush because I dont want 2 pumps for every feed line (that would go from 4-6 pumps min to 8-12. I cant open a solenoid and let the food gravity drain because it will be too viscous and all but one will end up being pumped up not down.
Makes sense. Gonna be a beast setup. I tried searching and couldn’t find the reverse either. Those KPH400s are great. I don’t think you can simultaneously have them wired for forward and reverse though. My plan was to either manifold in a loop off the return that has a Venturi valve mounted to side of fridge so the tubing never leaves the fridge as you keep pumps in fridge too. Or just run the line through the fridge. Dos and Versa are the only ready to go ones I’ve seen go in reverse.

OP
OP
E

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. Gonna be a beast setup. I tried searching and couldn’t find the reverse either. Those KPH400s are great. I don’t think you can simultaneously have them wired for forward and reverse though. My plan was to either manifold in a loop off the return that has a Venturi valve mounted to side of fridge so the tubing never leaves the fridge as you keep pumps in fridge too. Or just run the line through the fridge. Dos and Versa are the only ready to go ones I’ve seen go in reverse.

Yeah Id love to run the return lines by the fridge but that simply isnt an option anymore. The whole room was planned before I even knew this was a possibility, so now I just have to make it work as is.

GREAT pumps, and I believe many have options for large enough tubing, but are any of them reversible?

These are fantastic pumps, but no I have not found any that are reversible. Also they are MASSIVE.

Im working on a few options to see whats possible.

First I am trying to contact the manufacturer of the DOS pumps and heads, they appear to have options for different heads that will fit the DOS and Im trying to get details.

Second Im sure there is a thinner wall tube that could fit the DOS head and still work so Im trying to run that down.

Last Im trying to verify the actual motor specs of the DOS and Kamoer KLH motors to see if I can retrofit one of these into a DOS unit.

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4.8mm ID X 8.0 mm OD

I dont run mine in reverse it was enough hassle getting it wired and programmed as is. I bailed out on the original programming and now have it connected to a eb832 port and just control via feedmode where its easier for me to line up the stir plate programming.

I only have like 8 inches from the mini fridge into the coral flat. still not ideal but I started stabilizing my solution w/ citric acid a few months ago and its definitely made a difference.

I only use the feeder when i travel for work or vacations which is a decent frequency but averages probably only 3 days at a time.

Last edited:

Korrupt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R
Yeah Id love to run the return lines by the fridge but that simply isnt an option anymore. The whole room was planned before I even knew this was a possibility, so now I just have to make it work as is.

These are fantastic pumps, but no I have not found any that are reversible. Also they are MASSIVE.

Im working on a few options to see whats possible.

First I am trying to contact the manufacturer of the DOS pumps and heads, they appear to have options for different heads that will fit the DOS and Im trying to get details.

Second Im sure there is a thinner wall tube that could fit the DOS head and still work so Im trying to run that down.

Last Im trying to verify the actual motor specs of the DOS and Kamoer KLH motors to see if I can retrofit one of these into a DOS unit.
That’s 4 pumps and 2 dos units if using 1 half per tank right? And that’s if you can retro? I’d just grab the 8 kamoer pumps. $60 ish a pump/power and a 3D printed housing and you’re in business. 4 in the fridge. 4 right next to it with RoDI. Right where the feed line comes out of the fridge have it tee into the tanks RoDi line so the feed line never leaves the fridge. You have 8 lines at the fridge but only 4 leaving.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back