Best piece of reef equipment you have purchased

MAREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am almost done with all of my shopping. I have the skimmer, lights, and Apex. Wondering about what some of the things are you have now on your tanks or that you use religiously that you can't do with out. Thanks for any suggestions!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am almost done with all of my shopping. I have the skimmer, lights, and Apex. Wondering about what some of the things are you have now on your tanks or that you use religiously that you can't do with out. Thanks for any suggestions!
This may seem very simple, but a toothbrush.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said for the tank...not personal :)

That is good to have though. I can imagine all sorts of helpful applications. Thanks
I use one to clean my powerheads, clean the corners of the tank that my scrubber can't get, scrub algae off the rocks. There are alot of uses for a toothbrush in the reef tank hobby :)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO. I am cool with skimmers or without them, MH, T5, LED, PC - no problem. UV sure, but it's ok without. Macro algae refugium is ok, but have run without them, same with sumps. Manual dosing? Sure I can! Heck I can even make due with air pumps for water movement if I had to! (not that I want to)

But ATO? I never was able to keep inverts very well in systems where I didn't use ATO even if I checked it daily and had a decent cover with the exception of a pico reef bowl with a sealed cover, but even then it wasn't easy with evap!

OP
OP
MAREEF

MAREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO. I am cool with skimmers or without them, MH, T5, LED, PC - no problem. UV sure, but it's ok without. Macro algae refugium is ok, but have run without them, same with sumps. Manual dosing? Sure I can! Heck I can even make due with air pumps for water movement if I had to! (not that I want to)

But ATO? I never was able to keep inverts very well in systems where I didn't use ATO even if I checked it daily and had a decent cover with the exception of a pico reef bowl with a sealed cover, but even then it wasn't easy with evap!
Thanks. I picked up the Tunze for my ATO. I used to do reefing way back when these were not around in the hobby and am excited for it.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one to clean my powerheads, clean the corners of the tank that my scrubber can't get, scrub algae off the rocks. There are alot of uses for a toothbrush in the reef tank hobby :)

I use a grout cleaner brush! Much like a toothbrush, but a little more robust. Very key item!

For me, a sump is my best purchase for a reef tank. Often overlooked, but when properly setup, can make life so much easier.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good quality conductivity meter.

Used for salinity, real time continuous readings of temp and salinity during acclimation, and limewater potency.

U

User1

View Badges
LifeReef skimmer. Back when I had my 100 gallon in 2000 I bought an over sized skimmer in case I upgraded. Over the years few things happened, tore down that tank, so boxed it up and stored in the garage. Tanks since then have been 29 gallon bio-cubes or a 40 breeder so no need. Enter 210 gallon upgrade. Oh wait - I have that skimmer in the garage. Unbox, clean up (I guess I packed it dirty or not so clean), hook it up and it is running just has good has the day I bough it.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 3155 ATO, Reef Octopus Regal 250 Skimmer, toothbrush, and mag float glass cleaner are things I can’t go without in my opinion.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An RO/DI unit with an (built in) TDS meter is an must... have, right out the gate.

Best things that I bought over the past year:
1) Hanna Alk (dkh) Checker
2) Upgraded to the Vee Gee STX-3 refractometer. Caught it on sale for $80 ;Woot ;Woot

:)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 62 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.2%
Back