Best Places to buy Decorative Macroalgae?

OHaley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for suggestions on places to purchase decorative macroalgae! Hopefully, I can compile a comprehensive enough list for a stickied thread. There were one or two similar threads but they are many years old. If you are suggesting a place you have already bought from please include a star rating review :)!

Places I have found so far (but haven't bought from)
Gulf Coast Ecosystems, live-plants.com
Liveaquaria
Algae Barn
Indo Pacific Sea Farms (more so tang food than decorative specific)
On the marketplace here, though nothing currently

Last edited:

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulf Coast Ecosystems: 4.5/5 stars, for three packages of Hypnea algae. Only reason that it's a half star off, is because the hypnea came attached to some gravel to weigh it down, which might be okay for some.

AlgaeBarn: 4/5 stars, for multiple species, but focusing on their Macro package of three types (Red Ogo, Ulva, Chaeto), as well as Hypnea. They give you a LOT of clean macros (Ogo, Ulva, Chaeto) in those tiny jars, which is pretty worth it. Sometimes the Ogo comes in green and not red, but it does color up, and they're pretty good at replacing the orders. I'm not sure what's going on with their Hypnea production though. I definitely feel like I overpaid for it, and it melted away both times (the second time as a replacement) on me, not due to lack of care though. Customer service was ok, but not 100% stellar (I had to keep badgering them to make sure they gave me a refund about the Hypnea....). Also Customer service apparently doesn't accept .HEIC files?

Ebay: 3/5 stars, for multiple orders of Caulerpa over the past few years (it's so hard to find C. prolifera....). Hit or miss with this one, sometimes it comes in really nice. Othertimes you realize you paid 7$ for 5 tiny blades of macroalgae.

OP
OP
OHaley

OHaley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so for some reason I can't edit the main post anymore? So I guess this will be more of an info collecting thread, and I will eventually make another post when I have collected all sites/ratings.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't ordered macro algae from them, but i just placed my 2nd gorg order with liveplants.com since the first came in such great quality

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know reef cleaners sells macros. I haven't gotten any from them yet.
I've bought CUC from them and its good, so I would trust them.

Got a caluerpa and calcified sampler package. Got an unknown crab hitchhiker (probably a mithrax) and pods.

Good quantities of both samplers. Arrived healthy looking.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gulf coast ecosystem sells large amounts of it per bag for a decent price. Ships fast and well packed. The only issue is you need to check it all for hitchhikers. Mostly good ones, micro Stars, bristle worms, feather duster, and I think I found a couple of curly que nems. But I removed the nems. Everything else went in the tank. So my rating for them is 5/5.

IPSF, I have ordered from but it wasn't for the macroalgae, however every bag of snails, stars, pods, toadstool coral had several pieces of macroalgae in them. Again well packed and shipped fast. 5/5 for them as well.

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know reef cleaners sells macros. I haven't gotten any from them yet.
I've bought CUC from them and its good, so I would trust them.

Got a caluerpa and calcified sampler package. Got an unknown crab hitchhiker (probably a mithrax) and pods.

Good quantities of both samplers. Arrived healthy looking.
I forgot to say that the macros I got from Gulf Coast ecosystems. Sorry about any confusion!

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Cleaners

KP Aquatics

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i bought from Pacific East Aquaculture and got great service.

Back